Why is my ssd slow ?

I Have a hyper x 120gb sata 3 drive for my os (win 7 64bit) but it seems slow for such a drive that has been promised to deliver such high read/write speeds.

here is a benchmark I did.

They claim (and through benchmark tests around the internet) that read speeds are up to 525mb/s and read speeds up to 480mb/s. through this benchmark it doesn't seem that way.

here are my pc's specs
mobo: GA-Z68XP-UD4
CPU: core i52500k
GPU: HD 5870
psu: 850w quattro

I don't know what's wrong, all the latest drivers are installed, could it be the firmware on the SSD needs to be updated ? is it the mobo bios ? my dads sata 2 ocz SSD boots and operates way faster then mine.

thanks
9 answers Last reply
More about slow
  1. Falcon20 said:
    They claim (and through benchmark tests around the internet) that read speeds are up to 525mb/s and read speeds up to 480mb/s. through this benchmark it doesn't seem that way.

Advertised speeds are with ATTO benchmark software, not CrystalDiskMark.
  2. still ssd's usually skip the welcome screen on windows boot up ? mine sits there for at least 5 sec ?
  3. Only other thing I can suggest is to verify that the drive is connected in AHCI mode to port SATA3_0 or SATA3_1, not GSATA3_6 or GSATA3_7.
  4. i did go into the bios and the Gsata3 crtl mode is in IDE and eSATA3 ctrl mode is in IDE ? so do i need to change them to ACHI ?
  5. Whatever port your drive is connected to should be in AHCI mode.
    If your drive is connected to a GSATA or eSATA port it will perform at slower speeds.
    It needs to be connected to the Intel port in AHCI mode for maximum performance.
  6. okay its connected to the z68 intel sata 3 port on the mobo
  7. i did what you said but in the bios the only other option to change the sata crtl settings other than Esata and Gsata is the PCH sata control mode which i changed to ACHI, but then i reboot and system can't boot back into windows, so I had to change it back.

Do i need to change something in the registry in windows ?
  8. I got it to boot proply just needed to change the reg value, much quicker now thankyou. :)
  9. Yes, you cannot change SATA modes after a Windows installation without a Windows Registry fix.

1. Boot into Windows in IDE mode and perform the Registry fix. Here's a link for instructions: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?91808-Change-from-IDE-to-AHCI-after-Installation

2. Shut down your pc after the fix.
    3. Boot into BIOS and change the SATA mode to AHCI.
    4. Save your BIOS settings and boot into Windows.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Benchmark Storage