Terrible 3570K temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

volks1470

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
(started in the wrong forum, moved it here!)

So i just set up my new system today with a 3570K. The first thing i noticed was how how tiny the damn thing is! I'm used to AMD systems, so this is new to me. With this tiny size and the die shrink to 22nm i understand it can be hard to soak up heat. I was expecting better though I do not have a dedicated gpu just yet. The temps were just cpu stressing only. Gaming isn't too bad with temps @40-50C in SCII

I was hoping since people in newegg reviews were able to hit 4.5GHz on the stock cooler, my WC loop should fair very well.
Info on the loop to understand how it's underperforming.

Koolance CPU-370
Swiftech MCP-655
3x120mm Black Ice Stealth w/ 3 120mm (pull) sycthe fans (110CFM+)

At stock clocks it was able to hit 60C with that liquid cooling loop!!
It idles decently at 25-30C since it throttles way down to 1.6GHz and low voltage

This is the kind of performance i would expect from a cheap air cooler. Is Ivy Bridge so tiny that it really can't dissipate heat?
I'm starting to wish i had bought a 2500K

Pictures of the setup

882b3c7a.jpg

8ab144e0.jpg

Is the water/coolant old?

Brand new

Is the block correctly installed?

Yes. Though i always have wondered how much pressure to put on the screws since the instructions were very specific. They gave an amount of pressure as a measurement...now how am i supposed to confirm that?

With the Corsair H100 and running my Intel® Core™ i5-3570K at 4.6GHz I was hitting high 80c but this is with the voltage over 1.20v. So check to make sure the cooler is seated well and also check the voltage at stock it shouldn't more than 1.050v.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

I bumped the voltage up by 0.05V. If anything i guess i could try to reseat the cpu block and try again....

Another thing i noticed that my old AMD cpus never did. When 100% load hits, the temps shoot up extremely quick. I took a video of it and will upload later.
So the quicker the jump the less heat dissipation? If it could transfer heat efficiently then it would take a few seconds to heat up the block a little bit?

Idle

d7559e46.jpg

fans @ 100%, pump @ 50%

00a5d288.jpg

fans @ 1%? (lowest speed), pump @ 50%

88b17b40.jpg

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Gaming isn't too bad with temps @40-50C in SCII

Koolance CPU-370
Swiftech MCP-655
3x120mm Black Ice Stealth w/ 3 120mm (pull) sycthe fans (110CFM+)

At stock clocks it was able to hit 60C with that liquid cooling loop!!
It idles decently at 25-30C since it throttles way down to 1.6GHz and low voltage

This is the kind of performance i would expect from a cheap air cooler. Is Ivy Bridge so tiny that it really can't dissipate heat?
I'm starting to wish i had bought a 2500K

Your idle temps are great and to be expected. Your load temps of around 60C are also to be expected depending on what you are using to load the CPU. You must realize that CPU reported temps do not mean this is your water temperature- the difference between ambient air and water temps are known as your delta-T. It isn't that your watercooling isn't sufficient; because it is. It's because IB has the ability generate and report more heat than SB.

Xzm4

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012
Hey I was just searching the web after I put my rig together trying to find out if my temps were ok, and I guess I'm doing alright from all the reviews I have been seeing. At the moment I am rocking a z77 Sabertooth, i5 3570k, 670oc windforce, 16gig Gskill 2400mhz ram @ 1.65v, with Noctua NF-F12 fans and a custom loop similar too yours with a EX-240 rad, and EX-120 rad, but my (i5 3570k is at 4.2ghz 1.12v) and I'm maxing out at 55c in prime 95 after 6hrs are your sure your cpu is seated right I didn't think mine was and it took like 3 times and finally I went from like 60c to 55c max prime 95, If you would like later on if you reply back I can load some pics. My graphics card is also water cooled, GTX 670oc Windforce it tops out in MSI Kombustor 2.4 maxed at 45c and in bf3 ultra, Borderlands 2, and many others the i5 3570k is normally around 42-48c and the 670 is around 35-39c, just felt like sharing my results if you need any videos or pics or help with specs ill be glad to help... :p

PS: other things I was thinking, What type of thermal paste did you use? Also did you clean your rad's and block before using them, More than one time to make sure nothing was gunked in there? Also is your block and rez flowing in and out the right way I know it sounds stupid lol but I have herd many different reasons people's temps weren't right. Also idk maby my fans and just the fact that instead of a triple rad I went with 1-240 and 1-120 rad and it shaved 5c also did you just use some like oc tuner to 4.2 then lower the voltage even more, or did you know what you were doing and messed with every thing to get the lowest temps possible for your setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS