Sign in with
Your question

Switch to 2 routers, one has internet, the other doesn't?

Last response: in Networking
November 28, 2009 8:52:25 PM

I have a bit of a weird set up. Here are the products used:

Netgear 108T Switch

Linksys WRT54G2 router (newer Linksys)

Linksys WRT54GL router (older Linksys)

It was originally set up modem,>router>switch>router. so that the older Linksys was connected to the ethernet outlets upstairs, as well as to the Netgear, then the Netgear gave the newer Linksys internet. It worked just fine after giving the newer Linksys a different ip address. On the downfall, the older Linksys had a lot of issues keeping up with the demand, it needed to be restarted daily if not more. Which brings up what I'm trying to do now.

I'm trying to go from the modem>to the switch>both routers. To split the stress pretty much, as well as relocate the old Linksys for better wifi upstairs. After getting everything plugged in, the older Linksys has internet, but the newer one does not. But here's the kicker: I have tried directly plugging into the switch and cannot get internet through the Netgear, yet the router will get internet through any port on the switch. I've lost my CD and can't find an ip to change settings for the Netgear. I'm finding it really weird that the router that was originally hooked up to the netgear doesn't have internet. Augh! Any suggestions?
November 29, 2009 7:16:25 PM

cant find an ip to change settings on router? so 192.168.1.1 is a no go? 10.0.0.1? get ipconfig from the command line and find the default gateway address...that might work
m
l
!