erniep33

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Hi all,

I'm currently running a 150 GB, 10,000 RPM WD velociraptor with Windows 7 (as well as a couple other storage 7200 rpm drives). I recently ordered a Crucial M4 128GB and I was wondering what an ideal setup would be as far as installing games and apps.

I've read conflicting opinions on just how beneficial it is to install games and apps (photoshop, VS2010, etc.) on an SSD. So, other than my OS, what should I be installing on my SSD vs my raptor? Am I really going to be taking a performance hit by installing say TF2, WOW, or VS2010 on my raptor vs my SSD?

Thanks!

Solution
Hello and welcome to the forums
First of all,there isn't a difference between SSD and HDD in terms of gaming performance.The only difference is that SSD makes loading times a lot faster.
I recommend installing your main apps/games on the SSD and store your other things such as pics/videos etc on the HDD.
Hello and welcome to the forums
First of all,there isn't a difference between SSD and HDD in terms of gaming performance.The only difference is that SSD makes loading times a lot faster.
I recommend installing your main apps/games on the SSD and store your other things such as pics/videos etc on the HDD.

Solution

tomatthe

Distinguished
I would probably not bother using the raptor after you have an SSD. As Maziar said load times on the SSD will be much much faster then the raptor, and storing media files on the raptor doesn't make much sense as the speed isn't really needed there and it's a small drive. Putting your pagefile on the raptor is maybe a good idea, but I don't know that I would bother with that either.