Building a File Server / NAS for the first time

kiwiwsniper

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
Hi guys and ladies

I have 3x 320GB SATA and 2x 160GB IDE HDDs spare with my 250GB HDD about to be swapped with the 750GB and another Samsung 1TB in my current computer but as i am running out of storage space i am thinking of making a new computer system as i need more space (like lots of poeple out there)

My current computer is:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
RAM: 4GB Adata 800MHz
Graphics Card: Gigabyte GeForce 9600GT 512MB
PSU: Vantec Ion2 550W
Case: NZXT Apollo
Optical Drives: LG SATA DVD Writer
HDDs: Western Digital 250GB (OS HDD)
Samsung 1TB
Samsung 750GB

The File Server / NAS so far
Motherboard:
Processor:
RAM: 8GB
Graphics Card:
PSU:
Case: Antec Twelve Hundred
Optical Drives: LG SATA DVD Writer
HDDs: 3x 320GB

Please note with this case cooling is not an issue as the Antec Twelve Hundred comes with 5x 120mm and 1x 200mm fans.

Now i want to have it on 24/7 and i also want it to have at least 2 gigabit NICs so i can dual team them, also i don't mind taking my current Mobo, CPU and RAM out of my current computer and transfering them to my new machine. But i do want to keep a good computer for gaming.

Any help is very much appreciated

p55ibexpeak

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
NAS OS: Is it Home Server or Server 2008? Have you considered Linux? I have Ubuntu up and running for a few months as a firewalled file server/web server in DMZ. So far so great. I built a quad-core one for a buddy of mine. He uses KDE (desktop) & the Web. The big lesson learned: install OS on its own small drive. Now it's on my TB drive. Slow as hell when it's transferring files & updating programs at the same time. All clients are Vista. Copying files NAS to client can reach up to 100mb/s. My old crap NAS was 17mbps max.

For a server, GPU isn't a big issue. Any integrated gpu will do just fine. It'll only be used for initial OS install & the occasional screwups. Like locking oneself out of the server.

AMD or Intel cpu? mini-itx would've been an option if you don't mind the 1.6Ghz x2 speed. For mobos with dual gb lans:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010200022%201236814899&bop=And&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&ActiveSearchResult=True&Order=PRICE

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010200280+1236814899&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&Subcategory=280&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

You can go with any dual core cpu by either manufacturer, depending on the mobo. Is power consumption an issue? If so, then look for 45W cpus. Dual-core Pentinum/Celeron or Athlon II.

If you must have a discrete graphics card, look for one with passive cooling (just a heatsink). That will reduce the heat in the case.

PSU can be 350W-500W. Mine is just 275W with a dual core cpu, mobo, IGP, 2 TB drives & 1 small drive.