compute

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
Hi I just got my Crucial M4 SSD 128GB, but I didn't realise it didn't come with screws... however my CoolerMaster CM 690 II Advanced has a bay adapter but it to didn't come with screws :\

Here are pictures of the coolermaster SSD bay adapter, do I install the SSD on the front or back :?

Front:

Back:

I'm thinking of buying one of these and just taking the screws and putting them in the coolermaster SSD bay, would this work? not damage the SSD or coolermaster SSD bay?

Which should I pick, screws should be the same?

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=210_901&products_id=18545
or
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=210_901&products_id=12368

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
I can't really tell how the SSD should be oriented in the adapter by the picture, but think about how it will be situated in the case and where you need the SATA connections to be and that will tell you how the drive should be oriented. For example, if the bay is in the fron of the case it is unlikely that you would want the connection pointing toward the front because you need clearance for the cables.

In terms of the screws, I would call your case manufacturer and see if they'll mail you some screws - often they won't charge you. I've done that myself and I've heard others say the same thing so it's certainly worth a shot.

compute

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010

Are SSD screws different from HDD screws?

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011

Yes. On my case there are several slots for mounting 3.5" drives and two slots for mounting 2.5" drives and they use different screws with different threads. It surprises me that your case comes with 2.5" slots but no screws for them - especially from a company like coolermaster. If you contact coolermaster you'll want to say that you need mounting screws for a 2.5" drive bay.

If you're going to buy a bay adapter just for the screws then get literally the cheapest one you can find - they should be standard. You might want to find a local computer store that sells a lot of hardware and see if they'll give them to you for cheap.