Sign in with
Your question

Laptop randomly shutting down, Heat or Voltage problems?

Tags:
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
May 12, 2012 1:23:40 PM

Hi Everyone :hello: 

I have a problem. My Sony Vaio vpcf136fg randomly shuts down while using word, browser, or games. My laptop is not overclocked, its just on base clock speeds. My current solution is to underclock the gpu. Im not sure if its a heat problem or voltage problem. It shuts down even if cpu is 50 degrees Celsius and gpu, 45 C (Web browsing).

I cleaned the fan and replaced the thermal paste in the heatsink, But the thermal paste i used is just a cheap nano silver thermal conductivity compund (Around $2.50 for 3 grams) and my temps in full load are not good (Gaming). Both cpu and gpu temps go up to 84 degrees Celsius (while gpu is underclocked). I am sure i applied the paste right, I put a tiny dot (half a grain of rice) and spread it with a plastic card. I plan to change the paste, but its hard to find in my country (most thermal pastes have to be imported). I could see Cooler Master Thermal Paste and Tuniq tx-2 in a shop a bit far from where I live, I might get the tuniq.

I was also thinking that it could be some voltage problems, although im not sure. I don't really think changing my voltage is a good idea. Anyways that's all. I'll be waiting patiently for your reply. thanks :) 

System specs:

Cpu: Core i7-740QM
Gpu: NVIDIA GeForce GT 425M with CUDA
Ram: 4 GB DDR3
Hard drive: 500 GB 5400 rpm

More about : laptop randomly shutting heat voltage problems

May 14, 2012 2:42:37 PM

Alright, I got a new thermal paste although it's Deep cool z9. It was hard to install it because it was so thick. But managed to make a nice layer and did well. Although the problem still exist! My laptop crashes even at 60 degrees (gaming). Could it possibly be my hard drive failing? Or voltage? Please help.
m
l
!