Is this the right kind of HDD for a gaming rig?

tomatthe

Distinguished
Just my opinion, but I will never buy WD black drives again. I needed them for Raid 5 which they worked great in until one failed, and was replaced with one after they made the firmware changes which essentially made them useless in anything other then stand alone, or Raid 0/1.

For stand alone drives I suppose they are still very nice, I just have a pretty strong bias about getting stuck with 3 of them that I can't use for my original intentions.

I've got no clue whats going on with the many different versions of that drive between newegg/bestbuy, maybe check the WD site and it would have more info.

That's why WD makes their RE (RAID edition) drives. They don't recommend their other drives be run 24/7 in raid mode.

tomatthe

Distinguished

To make more money, I'm not aware of another manufacture of consumer desktop drives that do not work normally in Raid 5/6 etc. I'm not saying there is not point in the RE drives, I just find it annoying they will not work in configurations that many many other drives will work in.