Another HD 5850 with MB or SSD?

I'm looking for a practical way to increase my frames. Here are my current specs as of now:

XFX HD5850 everything MAX OC in CCC and running 65c at load.

Phenom II 720 OC to 3.2ghz with 4th core unlocked and running stable
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103649

ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO MB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131398

CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 4GB 1600 OC to 800mhz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145200

WD Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136073


If I buy another HD5850 then I'll need to purchase another MB since the second PCI express slot defaults to 4x speeds. Reselling my old MB can compensate for some of my losses. I called Chris Pirillo's live chat and asked for help and he recommend buying a SSD (preferably a 128gb). So far, there hasn't been a SSD benchmark tying to frames for games, so making a proper comparison between the two will be difficult. Excluding the resell value, both will cost me around around the same price, but which will give me the better performance in games? Thanks for the help!

If you wanna see the live chat between me and chris go here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Loqd4BHX8bg
10 answers Last reply
More about another 5850
  1. Excuse me for my horrible grammar usage and stuttering if you are watching the live chat video. It was my first time speaking live and I was nervous XD.
  2. Dont worry about the grammar, its not bad! :)

    I dont think an SSD would help much in improving frame rates. How much FPS are you getting now?
  3. Quote:
    Dont worry about the grammar, its not bad! :)

    I dont think an SSD would help much in improving frame rates. How much FPS are you getting now?


    I getting decent frames for most games. I clock around 91 frames on MW2 on multiplayer (screw the boycott) everything maxed at 1080p res, 46 frames on the dirt 2 demo all maxed at 1080p res, and a solid 80 frames on Batman: Arkham Asylum maxed of course. The games that dips below 30 are GTA IV and Crysis.

    If you haven't watched the entire then I highly recommend you do. It gets funnier at the end.
  4. GTA IV and Crysis are badly coded games, advise would be not to judge your card just on 2 games. You are fine. If you still need horsepower another HD5850 CF would be the way... but that's expensive!
    Temporarily, you can closing most background applications and keeping resources free while playing those two games.
  5. An SSD would improve loading times, but won't improve framerates by any appreciable amount. However, it will make your system lightning fast in comparison to a HDD for general usage.
  6. randomizer said:
    An SSD would improve loading times, but won't improve framerates by any appreciable amount. However, it will make your system lightning fast in comparison to a HDD for general usage.


    I figure that was the case since all the SSD benchmarks compares mostly loading times and reading/writing speeding between the conventional HDD. Thanks for confirming my suspicions!
  7. The only thing it may help with is games that stream alot of data, such as STALKER or Oblivion and maybe Crysis. It won't help framerate, but it might make the game a bit smoother when transitioning between areas or just for streaming textures/shaders (as in the case of Crysis).
  8. randomizer said:
    The only thing it may help with is games that stream alot of data, such as STALKER or Oblivion and maybe Crysis. It won't help framerate, but it might make the game a bit smoother when transitioning between areas or just for streaming textures/shaders (as in the case of Crysis).


    I didn't really enjoy Crysis all that much anyway. All it had going was its graphical fidelity and it's most certainly not worth the money and effort to upgrade just for that game. The only game in my opinion that is worth it is GTA IV. But based on hellstorms' advice, I say with confidence that upgrading my PC won't be necessary until the 300 series are on retail. The prices will probably drop dramatically.
  9. yes ,even i am waiting for a budget of around 300-320 for ati price changes/fermi based cards to hit the market . re using an old 4850 for now .
  10. fullmetal297 said:
    But based on hellstorms' advice, I say with confidence that upgrading my PC won't be necessary until the 300 series are on retail.

    Some would say your PC will be obsolete by then. :pt1cable:
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product