Sign in with
Your question

Surfboard Cable Modem, 2 Netgear Routers, 1 Switch-Freq. IP Releases?

Last response: in Networking
November 28, 2009 9:15:44 PM

Greetings, :D 

The Background?

I recently upgraded my network consisting of a Surfboard Cable Modem (SB5101) and a Netgear Wireless-G Router (WGR614 v.7) by adding a Netgear Wireless-N 150 Router (WNR1000) and a Netgear Prosafe 5-port 10/100 Desktop switch to the setup.

The Issue?

The issue involves the Netgear Wireless-N 150 Router (WNR1000) after about 30 minutes of online activity.

The Netgear Wireless-N 150 Router (WNR1000) resets itself, releases the reserved ip (192.168.1.6) for my ethernet card on the laptop, and then automatically renews the reserved ip (192.168.1.6) to the laptop.

The Netgear Wireless-N 150 Router (WNR1000) handles all of the wireless (2 wireless smartphones) and ethernet (1 laptop) duties with the Netgear Wireless-G Router (WGR614 v.7) wireless functions safely disabled.

The Netgear Wireless-G Router (WGR614 v.7) is only used for a connection to a Panasonic IP Cam (triggers on rare outside movement only) (wireless disabled) via a single ethernet cable.

The provider is comcast. :sarcastic: 

I have configured a network similar to this in the past (years ago) with a Linksys Router, Dlink Switch, and the Surfboard Cable Modem (SB5101).

The firmware on all of the aformentioned devices is current.

I use opendns servers instead of the default comcast dns servers. ;) 

The question?

Can the Netgear Prosafe 5-port 10/100 Desktop switch handle all of the bandwidth for the network?

Any advice, comments, or suggestions are appreciated.

:) 

December 1, 2009 2:26:37 AM

Those netgear N routers go bad a lot. If it's resetting itself it's an internal issue. I watched a guys go and it just eventually kept rebooting itself.

If it's getting cluttered up, it will just slow all traffic to a trickle. Rebooting is a board issue of some kind.
December 11, 2009 2:09:00 AM

Thanks...

I decided to dump the switch for now and just plug everything into the N router for the time being.

No worries.

:wahoo: 
!