SammySosa

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
Hello. I want to run Memtest to diagnose a possible memory problem. I downloaded the zip file, unzipped, and tried to make the bootable CD as per the instructions to run Memtest on my questionable computer. For the life of me I couldn't get the computer to boot the CD and run Memtest. Every time, the computer booted right to Windows.

So I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know what.

Can anyone walk me through the steps to make that bootable CD and get Memtest running?

Thanks

You probably didn't create a bootable disc. If you're using Windows 7, just double click the .iso file and follow the GUI (this assumes you don't have any third pary burning software installed).

If you're not using Windows 7, download any one of the following trial software:

1. magiciso
2. poweriso
3. disc juggler
4. g-burner
5. ImgBurn (for you old schoolers)

Once you've successfully burned the disc image to cd, make sure you change your boot sequence to cd/dvd first; this is done in the BIOS.

SammySosa

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
Hello. Thanks for your reply. I use Win XP and use BurnAware Free for CD creation.

The instructions on the web-site say:
"To build a boot-able CD-ROM use your CD burning software to create an image from the un-zipped ISO file. Be sure to use a create from image option. DO not simply copy the file to a CD."

So I'm not sure what is meant by "create an image..." Is that the same thing as burn a data CD with the downloaded file (memtest86_3.5)? Do I need to do anything to the file (memtest86_3.5) before I burn the CD?

thanks

3.5 eh? I think the latest version is 4.1. As for burning the image to cd, no, it is not the same as burning a data disc. Though anything you put on to a disc is technically, data, the classifications are separated by: music, movie/video, data, or bootable disc.

I don't have BurnAware and I can't download it on to my office computer, but look for the burn option that mentions the term "bootable" or "disc image". Some programs have a box to click. Basically what you need to do is burn a bootable disc image of the MemTest86 file you have. Lastly, check the help file (if included).

SammySosa

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
Hello. As usual, the problem was due to my mis-understanding.

I got this to work by burning the .ISO file to disk, then while the computer booted, pressed F10 (opens up BIOS boot options) and selected to boot from the CD drive.

Memtest fired up like a champ. The test ran for 2+1/2 hrs. and indicated no problems with the RAM. Because of the time involved, I opted to forgo running the test through six more cycles as recommended by the Memtest web-site.