Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Watercooling a Corsair 800d ?

Last response: in Overclocking
May 13, 2012 12:08:36 AM

This is the rig

2x overclocked 680 gtx (might add a third one later on)
i5-3570k (overclocked)
4x4G.RAM 1600Hz (they have heat sink)
1200W PSU

This case: http://www.corsair.com/pc-cases/obsidian-series-pc-case...

And like next to everyone I want it to be as quit as possible.

I'd really want a solutions where I could have all of my rads inside the case but I suspect it would be impossible. Its seem like that case could only hold a 360mm + a dual one (120 or 140).

1)So I was thinking about a 9x120mm rad that I could fix on the "metal" side of my tower. Is such a radiator would be enough for the watercooling side of my set-up ? Would it be overkill ?

2)If my rad is outside of the case do I really need to add extra fan on the case itself ? That is the stock case airflow: http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/1036/corsair...
and http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/1036/obsidia...

I could always had fans on the top exhaust or intake (I could add a dust filter)

As a side note I'd like this case to be time proof so I could add cooling as I upgrade the set-up (like if I ever buy a third 680gtx and we never know how power angry will be the next generations of GPU). And I don't want me computer to feel like a supersonic jet. Its hard to enjoy extreme gaming when your fans are louds.
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 13, 2012 12:18:01 AM

Yes, the Mo-Ra you are looking at will handle the load from the cpu and three cards
and yes, you will still need fans inside the case to dissipate heat in there,
the more fans you have on the rad, the slower you can have them,
nine 120's would be plenty on the rad, but put 18 on it and you could run them all silently
Moto
m
l
May 13, 2012 12:22:22 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
Yes, the Mo-Ra you are looking at will handle the load from the cpu and three cards
and yes, you will still need fans inside the case to dissipate heat in there,
the more fans you have on the rad, the slower you can have them,
nine 120's would be plenty on the rad, but put 18 on it and you could run them all silently
Moto

Yeah I know the case still need fans but I'm wondering if I should had some more over the stock ones (the case have 3x 140mm fans).

I don't understand what you mean one that part "but put 18 on it and you could run them all silently
Moto"

What is the 18 mean ? Sorry my english isn't perfect.
m
l
Related resources
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 13, 2012 12:26:16 AM

I would have as many fans as you can fit into the case, that way you can run the fans slower and have a quieter system,
and the more fans you have on a radiator, the more effective the cooling, which is why I said **but put 18 on it and you could run them all silently**
I meant put eighteen fans on it, nine each side for push/pull, and then you could run all the fans at slower speeds, making it all as silent as possible, but still getting the same good cooling
Moto

m
l
May 13, 2012 12:41:27 AM

Motopsychojdn said:

and the more fans you have on a radiator, the more effective the cooling, which is why I said **but put 18 on it and you could run them all silently

Oh didnt thought you could put 2x 9fans on the ra dmy bad lol.

Well thanks a lot thats probably what I'm going to do.

As for the fan does anyone tryed out the corsair ones ? http://www.corsair.com/cpu-cooling-kits/air-series-fans...

They are bether then the all mighty scythe ?
m
l

Best solution

a c 190 K Overclocking
May 13, 2012 1:07:07 AM

Theres a fan roundup at the top of the Cpu components section,
I personally favour Gelids blue wing 120's (I have nine of those), although I also have fourteen XSPC 2000rpm fans as well (They run at halfspeed so 1000Rpm on maximum really, but they are never on maximum)
but you need to remember that the Mo-Ra series are designed for slow-spinning fans, not high rpm ones, you will get the same amount of cooling but at a higher noise level, you should look to run your fans at around 600-800rpm to get them quiet enough,
the ones you linked are good, but at high speeds, they may not perform as well at very low speed, and another thing to remember is starting voltage of fans.
you may have to start the Pc up with them on a higher setting, then lower them, as if you try starting it with not enough voltage, the fans won't start up
Check out this fan roundup
Moto
a b K Overclocking
May 15, 2012 8:48:30 PM

I haven't seen any reviews yet but you may also want to take a look at the Corsair fans.
m
l
May 15, 2012 9:00:51 PM

Best answer selected by venur.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 15, 2012 10:01:36 PM

Glad to help man, thank you for B.A.
Moto
m
l