New Gaming System: Need Feedback!

jjungstar

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
It'd be helpful if you put what the parts were outside of the link. Also, what's the budget?

Here's a better set of RAM (G.Skill Ripjaws), currently selling for $80, which is a special price.

Here's a better HDD (Samsung Spinpoint F3) for $15 cheaper. It's currently out of stock, but should be worth the short wait.

Other than that it looks good. The savings you get from the above improvements should probably be applied to an upgrade to the CPU. Don't forget to look for combos too. I just got a $55 combo on CPU/mobo last week...

jjungstar

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
I heard about LG's new "bluebird" program, so I'm avoiding LG for now, any others? I also saw the other guy's build (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-275623_13_0.html#t2026136) and I think I'm going to copy it :) since it's about $300 cheaper than my inexperienced build.

bdcrlsn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You should select a different motherboard. That Asus has the PCI-Express slots mixed up, meaning the 16x is on the bottom (the white slot) and the 4x on the top (the blue slot). If you have a double-width graphics card, then it would interfere with the slot or whatever else below. Just a heads up.

This motherboard doesnt have an 4x slot. It has 16x or dual 8x slots and even when both are filled there is a pcie x1 and a pci slot open still.