Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Does anyone know if the CM Hyper TX3 comes with thermal grease?

Last response: in Overclocking
May 13, 2012 1:10:47 AM

This is my first time with a heat sink so I wanna make sure if I have to go buy a separate one or the retail comes with some sort of thermal.
a c 88 K Overclocking
May 13, 2012 1:17:44 AM

If you are buying it new, yes it does and you can use it and it will work effectively.
m
l
May 13, 2012 1:26:57 AM

haha nice thanks....but one more question....i read something about lapping....is it necessary with all new heatsinks? and is it just scratching the surface to make it shiny and flat?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 88 K Overclocking
May 13, 2012 1:38:34 AM

Lapping isn't really needed (unless you are looking for benchmarks to brag about) on a heatsink. Lapping is the use of progressively smaller grit abrasives to flatten and polish the heatsink surface - the idea is to make an absolutely flat and smooth surface for better mating with the processor. There are potential problems with lapping and I would recommend against attempting it without some practice (all it takes is a little too much pressure on one side to screw it up badly).
Summary: Lapping isn't needed - there are potential risks - I will advise against it at this time
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 13, 2012 1:49:08 AM

+1, only serious mentalhead clockers even consider lapping these days, manufacturing processes are that good now, your Cpu base is 99% perfect straight from the factory
Whatever you do, don't look up Shiage togi finishing, you don't have three years to finepolish your block with silk :) 
Moto
m
l
May 13, 2012 1:53:06 AM

hah alright thanks guys for the help
m
l
May 13, 2012 1:53:23 AM

Best answer selected by Kiboshed.
m
l
!