Sign in with
Your question

Which brand 5870 to buy?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 3, 2009 8:41:03 AM

Not like a have a big choice because they are sold out everywhere I look but overprices on ebay. I just want to know if there is any difference in the brands other than the brand? The one I am looking at on ebay is the OEM version

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-OEM-ATI-Radeon-HD-5870-1GB-HDMI...

More about : brand 5870 buy

Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2009 10:52:34 AM

kc999 said:
Not like a have a big choice because they are sold out everywhere I look but overprices on ebay. I just want to know if there is any difference in the brands other than the brand? The one I am looking at on ebay is the OEM version

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-OEM-ATI-Radeon-HD-5870-1GB-HDMI...

The main difference between brands is:

Warranties
Quality of parts.

Beyond that, it's your personal preference. Like me, i like EVGA graphic cards although someone else may like bfg or Asus.
December 3, 2009 12:04:34 PM

for ATi got XFX. I've always liked it, and it makes it really easy if I ever want to switch back to Nvidia I can use the same login etc.

I wish EVGA or BFG would start making ATi though, I would love a step up card from ATI.

@ OP

Funny thing is, you linked new egg which doesn't have any 5870s, and the person linked an expensive ebay 5870 because its actually available:) 
December 3, 2009 7:21:10 PM

The Sapphire Vapor is the best one right now, hands down. (Although, I am waiting for the Sapphire Toxic series).
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2009 7:28:21 PM

I won't pay higher than the launch price. If that means I won't see a 5870 in my build for another 6 months, so be it. If by the time i go to buy the parts the prices/availabilty are still boned, then 5770s will make me happy. :D 

I am not trying to be insulting to those who will pay the inflated prices, just giving my own pov.
a c 140 U Graphics card
December 3, 2009 7:30:44 PM

They are all the same, just are supported by different manufacturers with different warranties and such. Some put different coolers on like the Sapphire Vapor-X, but that is about it.

I have an Asus 5870 as it was available and I've never had issues with Asus support.
December 3, 2009 8:19:38 PM

jay2tall said:
They are all the same, just are supported by different manufacturers with different warranties and such. Some put different coolers on like the Sapphire Vapor-X, but that is about it.

I have an Asus 5870 as it was available and I've never had issues with Asus support.

The Vapor-X's difference is not just the cooler and shape, it runs faster, cooler and quieter than the stock HD 5870 and it is also shorter, which is very important for those without a huge full tower case.
December 3, 2009 8:20:43 PM

I picked up the Diamond (2 yr warranty if registered within 30 days). If i was patient I would get the xfx due to lifetime warranty.
a c 140 U Graphics card
December 3, 2009 9:28:04 PM

MARSOC_Operator said:
The Vapor-X's difference is not just the cooler and shape, it runs faster, cooler and quieter than the stock HD 5870 and it is also shorter, which is very important for those without a huge full tower case.

Yeah it's just a cooler, which would attribute to the cooler and quieter part. It has a tiny factory Overclock, so its a smidgen faster. That is all. The card is not smaller, it's just the fact that the cooler they use doesn't hang on the back of the card like the OEM cooler does. Other than that it is the same identical card. Honestly, the 5870 doesn't need a better than OEM cooler unless you are going to volt mod the thing and OC it to all carp. I'm idleing at 36C right now as I type and i haven't seem it get over 85C MAX after several hours of gaming.
December 3, 2009 10:46:57 PM

I just sold my extra unopened Sapphire 5850 on Ebay, for about what I paid for it from New Egg. (was priced at my cost to open and got... exactly... one bid.)

!