Choosing a new gaming build, need help with components

SakSak

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within the next two weeks, so that the parts arrive before christmas

BUDGET RANGE: 550-650€ total

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, 3D-image rendering, movies

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Display (22" LCD with unfortunately not a DVI-input, native res. 1680x1050. Liable to change in a few years to a more modern display.)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: http://www.multitronic.fi/

PARTS PREFERENCES: would like to use AMD chipset for CPU, ATI is slightly preferred for GPU but doesn't matter too much.

OVERCLOCKING: Highly unlikely, but maybe.
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I'm planning to use a Radeon HD 4600-series or the HD 4770 card for a graphics card (or something along those lines from Nvidia), it's meant to be upgraded in two years if necessary. Same with RAM, upgraded as necessary as time goes by. The build is not meant to be a miracle worker, I'm used to playing games at 1024x768 with no AA in my current system. So maxing out the FPS is not a priority. Unsure if the casing is proper, it might be too big or too small. Comments on this and possibly required (unsure) casing fan for extra cooling power.

The motherboard must have an integrated sound card, 1Gb or better Ethernet Card, 4 RAM slots for easy future upgrades and at least 4 USB-ports.

The PSU should not preferably cost more than 50€, and at 60€ my wallet would begin to widen uncomfortably much.

Parts already looked at and decided to be fairly good in my newbie opinion:

SMG F1 640GB 3.5" SATA2 7200RPM 16MB

Basic DVD-RW drive, LG DVDRW 22X BLACK BULK SATA

COMPUCASE 6C11 ATX MIDITOWER BLACK/SILV

AMD PHENOM II X4 925 AM3

4GB 1333MHZ DDR3 NON-ECC CL7 DIMM KITX2

CHIEFTEC PSU 550W 12CM ATX12V2.3 EPS12V

So, please give me your opinion on these parts and recommend any chances. With choosing a motherboard I'm hopelessly lost, I must admit.

SakSak

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009

That link doesn't quite work, instead redirecting to the main page.

Thank you for recommending that PSU, though is seems a tad expensive. Is the added reliability worth it?

SakSak

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
Thank you. After several hours of research and visiting the manufactures sites, the build is beginning to take final form.

I've settled on 785G chipset for the motherboard, the integrated GPU allows me to wait for a few months before bying a separate graphics card. I hope by that time HD 5000 series will be a tad cheaper.

Do any of you forsee any problems with that motherboard? Direct linky:

http://www.multitronic.fi/showprod.php?prod_id=M4A785T-M

SakSak

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
So, final listing for final approval by you experts out there. I'll place the order tomorrow or the day after, assuming I don't get reamed for this.

AMD Phenom II X4 925 AM3
4GB 1333MHZ DDR3 NON-ECC CL7(7-7-7) DIMM kit (2x2GB)
ASUS AM3 AMD785G VGA DDR3 SATA2 GLAN 8CH
CORSAIR PSU 550W 12CM ATX12V2.2 80+
SAMSUNG 500GB SATAII 16MB
COMPUCASE MICRO ATX MINITOWER, AG, BS
GIGABYTE Radeon HD 4850 - 512 Mt GDDR3 - PCI-Express 2.0 <- this one is on sale at a shop pretty much next door :)

Total cost with basic keyboard and mouse: 610€.

If you could confirm compatibility for the motherboard, PSU and casing, I would greatly appreciate it, it has been years since I did my last build and I'm a bit unsure.

Also, do they still ship those standard processor heatsink/fan combinations with thermal pads or do I have to restock on paste?