Is my Asus Board Dead??

bigj1985

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
I am hoping that someone can help me before I decide to send this board back to Newegg. The exact motherboard I have have is ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard. I recieved the board and I believe that it came to me dead. my processor is the AMD Phenom 965 quad core processor. i am using the Thermaltake 550w Modular psu and an ati radeon 4890 1gb gddr5 graphics card. I am using 4gb 2x2 of ocz 1600 ddr3 amd black edition ready ram. I connected everything and I get no beep and no post at all. The green light on the board does come on and the board does power up but thats all it does there isno post or video whatsoever. The dvd drive will open, the hard drive motor spins, and the cpu fan spins constantly but I get no beeps or video. i have tried it with no ram different ram 3 different psu"s and also a different processor. All of this has the same result as before. Everything comes on but no post. I just want to make sure that this board is most definitely dead before i SEND IT IN. I have also tried all of this with the board outside of the case to and it did nothing. is it possible I am missing something here? I would appreciate any help at all thank you.

Solution

Glad we were able to help you "fix" your motherboard. Can I get the Best Answer award? I'm still a boy scout at heart and can't stop collecting badges, even if they are just virtual badge that exists only in cyberspace.

bigj1985

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Ok thanks for the sticky I read all of it and yes i have done all of this. This one is not my first go around even though I wouldnt say I am a veteran at this as I have only probably built like 5 or so systems. However i have never ran into the problem of a bad motherboard until now. Well at least I believe it to be bad I hope I can figure this out. I usually go with Gigabyte but this time I decided to try Asus because it seemed like an awesome board for the price. I have heard that Asus sends out alot of bad boards whether that is true or not i do not know. ok well if anyone else can think of something i am all eyes thanks for the help.

Blckhaze

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
On my power supply is a red button. If I push it, it turns all the fans and lights on, but nothing boots up. It's just to test stuff on the Asus board. I can hold it in as long as I want.. Test fans, air flow, stop and start. It's neat.

Seems like your board might be stuck on that "all power on" thing. Check jumpers, options on the power supply, and whatnot. Might get lucky and find out that thats all it is

I connected everything and I get no beep and no post at all.

Try rssetting the CMOS jumper and defaulting the BIOS. Unplug the PSU, remove the battery and reset the jumper. Instructions are in the MB manual. Unplug the hard drive and use only the basics to get to BIOS. 1 DIMM RAM in slot 1, video card, CPU/HSF. Unplug EVERYTHING else. Including hard drives, optical drives, case fans, Sound cars, PCI cards including wireless adapters, etc. Also, If a working speaker is connected to the MB front paanel speaker header allowing BIOS beep code, remove ALL the RAM and boot the system. If there is no error code beep recognizing the system has no RAM, the MB or CPU or both are bad.

bigj1985

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
yep i sure did try with just the onboard video and still nothing. I never moved the cmos jumper off of 1 and 2 yet but I am thinking about trying a reset like the previous post suggested. I never tried that because I would think that something like that would be useless for a brand new board that has never been used. Has anyone here ever got a new board where they had to reset the cmos jumper to make it work?? I just cannot seee how something like that would be of any use on a motherboard that has never been used.

bigj1985

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
I bought the board from newegg. I'm not to sure I think they just send me a replacement if I am not mistaken. I am not to sure of the policies that Asus has anyways I am gonna try the reset today if that doesn"t work I am sending the bastard back. I am just pissed when you pay $150 for something you expect the ****** to work. I have been reading alot of negative feed back towards Asus as of late I am thinking about a refund and going with Gigabyte like I always have not sure yet.

bigj1985

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Ok guys well I finally got it working today thank you for all of your help. it turns out all it was is that the stupid little plastic jumper was not all the way on pins 1 and 2. it was not pushed all the way down and it was shipped to me that way. Lol. I am so happy I noticed that b4 sending it back. The stupid little teeny tiny stuff that can be missed is amazing.

bigj1985

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Just P.S before this thread is closed anyone who gets a motherboard that is not posting or beeping in any way make sure that little plastic juper is pressed ALL THE WAY DOWNON THE BOARD. I wonder how many others have sent inboards from Asus as bad because of this tiny but easily missed problem.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished

Glad we were able to help you "fix" your motherboard. Can I get the Best Answer award? I'm still a boy scout at heart and can't stop collecting badges, even if they are just virtual badge that exists only in cyberspace.

Solution

Sophist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
I am in the same hole as this guy however i have tried moving said jumper and still no post everything works and is brand new. initially i did get a brief picture but seconds later nothing. need some help before i drop a steamer on this board