Sign in with
Your question

650-800 Gaming computer.

Last response: in Systems
November 30, 2009 7:34:18 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Today if possible.
BUDGET RANGE: 650-800 Before rebates if they are mail in.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, watching movies, surfing the net, and writing papers for school

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Mouse, Monitor, Speakers, OS.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com or where the deals are.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: I'm in the U.S.

PARTS PREFERENCES: Whatever is Reputable right now and preferably a Intel for the CPU

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe. I've never overclocked but I may in the future. SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes / Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: I have a 20" screen, don't remember the resolution. I will upgrade to a 22" in the near future.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Functionality over bling. I would like it to last me a long time. I play FPS's alot. I have windows 7, And I can install it in either the 32-bit or the 64-bit. I would like to be able to use DX 11
November 30, 2009 7:48:28 PM

I should also mention that this is my first PC build.
m
l
November 30, 2009 11:29:21 PM

You budget is too low for a good intel build. An AMD AthlonIIx3/PhenomIIx3 and AM3 motherboard would be what you should look at for gaming performance at this price range.

Ideally you want a 5770 for DX11 at that screen size.

A good airflow case like an antec 300 illusion (front/rear and top fans) will keep things cool and help them last longer.

A good quality power supply will make a reliable system. Bad power will cause no end of headaches.

You should look at the builds by usage sticky and use that as a starting point.

I recommend you do some research before you purchase anything. Know what you are getting before spending money.
First time builder + buy today = likely disaster.
m
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
December 1, 2009 7:04:54 PM

Agree on the research aspect. I'm pretty new at building, but have learned a lot by just doing a little research.

Also agree on the fact that you will not be able to get a good Intel build. IMO, it's difficult to get a good Intel gaming build on less than $1000 right now without some major sacrifices. Recommend the AMD Phenom II X4 955, but might just be out of range ($165).

I'd drop down to an Antec 300 case (not the Illusion). It will save a little bit of cash, and only affects the looks.

For a good power supply, you can't beat Corsair. They make one in about every watt range, and all of them are of the highest quality.

You're going to need to go with the 64-bit Win7. You'll need 4 GB, so there's no sense in wasting the last bit.
m
l
December 1, 2009 7:14:41 PM

MadAdmiral said:
I'd drop down to an Antec 300 case (not the Illusion). It will save a little bit of cash, and only affects the looks.

You are incorrect. The reason I recommend the illusion model is for the front fans. The stock 300 does not include any front fans.
m
l
December 1, 2009 7:23:38 PM

Yeah, I had a friend help me out who works for blizzard, and I ended up throwing this budget out... :/  I spent around $1200 total.

I don't know how to post what was in my cart from newegg, otherwise I would.
m
l
!