How long do overclocked graphics cards last?

if I were to say, overclock my radeon 6950 to 6970 specs (mine wont unlock :\ I plan to upgrade in a year- this card can run crysis/crysis 2 max settings 1280x1024 just fine so im happy- but still wanna have some fun :)

But if I were to OC a 6950 to 6970 clocks... with proper voltage included, how long should I expect it to last?

I did some gaming, and on stock- the temp never exceeded 67C, it has a very nice custom cooler on it by sapphire. :)
4 answers Last reply
More about long overclocked graphics cards last
  1. If you are on standard voltage and have those temps,
    you are not doing any harm to your card, it will be fine for a couple of years, not just one :)
    Moto
  2. hehe, I may yet try to OC the card a bit and keep it below 80 Celsius =) if I can get stock 6970 clocks, I dont even need to care about the unlocked shaders as it would denote a less than 5 percent diff anyway. :sarcastic:

EDIT: I could just buy a 2nd 6950 in half a year, but I might as well save 400 dollars for whatever is out in one year, it ill be remarkably better than whatever is out now :D
  3. I think you should OC as high as you can WITHOUT messing with voltage. "Proper voltage included" is a bad idea. Overvolted electronics are pretty unpredictable.
  4. Well im nearly 8 hours into prime95 with my 2600k @ 4.5 GHz with 1.32 VCore so that statement is only true some of the time. (although my cpu life time will be reduced a bit, im taking every precaution to extend it- offset voltage/clocks, etc...)

But I've never OC'd a GPU before... would ocing without messing with voltage cause any instabilities? What program should I use to check for stability? (Without bricking it of course.)

EDIT: "would ocing without messing with voltage cause any instabilities?" I actually meant 'long term damage' not instablities. :P

EDIT: WELL I decided to quickly OC my GPU tonight and here is what my radeon 6950 was able to do WITHOUT unlocks! :P

Stock volt and clocks and temps are...

stock voltage- 1.100 VDDC
    stock core 800MHz
    Stock Memory 1250
    Temp- 67 average

Overclocked
    Stock Voltage- 1.180 VDDC
    OC Core 880 MHz
    OC Memory 1370MHz
    temp- 73 average

Gonna run 3dmark to see if im rock solid, I wont be running this OC 24/7, might just do it a few times for fun in some games and just deal with stock clocks- I dont want my card dying on me in a month. :lol:

btw there was no option for core voltage, just VDDC voltage. Furmark read my voltage as 1.180 so im not quite sure, are they one and the same? I appear stable enough for around 22 minutes in furmark. :ange:

EDIT: Played crysis 2- got a 'splitscreen' artifact. Im staying at stock clocks, I can already tell this isnt worth it in the slightest. :lol:
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Overclocking