Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Thermal Paste applied wrong?

Last response: in Overclocking
May 13, 2012 3:55:07 AM

I finally got my shiny new build in and my cooler back from RMA. The only thing missing are the GTX 680s in SLI (coming in later this week)

My problem is that after applying the Zalman CNPS12x I'm still seeing the same temperature under load that I was seeing with the stock Intel heatsink.
Under full load (using Prime95) I'm seeing about 60c as far as temps. (Ambient is around 26C) Am I expecting unreal performance out of this heat sink, or do I need to go ahead and re-seat it?

This is my first from scratch build, so the whole TI compound thing is a little nebulous for me (even after having watched a dozen videos and read enough forum posts that I'm cross-eyed)

My build: (Minus bluray drive which is no longer listed)
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...
a b K Overclocking
May 13, 2012 10:34:26 AM

Well an aftermarket cooler should be better than the stock cooler.Is it seated correctly?What thermal paste are you using?
m
l
May 13, 2012 4:10:08 PM

akxpckwb said:
Well an aftermarket cooler should be better than the stock cooler.Is it seated correctly?What thermal paste are you using?

I *believe* it's seated correctly. It's firmly attached and I tightened the bolts as much as I dare.

I'm using ZALMAN ZM-STG2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
May 13, 2012 4:32:38 PM

IB CPU @ 60c under load? You're fine.
May 13, 2012 7:43:41 PM

One gtx 680 is not enough to run games or what. Lol total overkill and waste of money but then again it doesn't look like money is a problem for you.
m
l
May 14, 2012 3:25:40 AM

Wastert67 said:
One gtx 680 is not enough to run games or what. Lol total overkill and waste of money but then again it doesn't look like money is a problem for you.

I'm planning on powering a multi-head setup. That and yeah, bragging rights is firmly a factor.
m
l
May 14, 2012 3:25:48 AM

Best answer selected by viiag.
m
l
May 14, 2012 3:25:58 AM

4745454b said:
IB CPU @ 60c under load? You're fine.

Thanks!
m
l