Motherboard and CPU overheating for unknown reason

dejanxd

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Alright, I'm not very sure if this is the correct place to ask this, considering I haven't overclocked anything and I don't intend to, but here goes.

I'm currently using a BIOSTAR NF520D3 as my motherboard and an Athlon II X3 455 as my CPU. Before some time and especially after I bought a new graphics card (Radeon HD 6670), which cooled the PC further, my CPU was running below 40C and my motherboard below 50C (on idle). I'm not sure exactly when this began or how, but my CPU began to run above 40C and my motherboard above 50C (again on idle). When I'm doing anything, like web browsing, my mobo will go beyond 60C and CPU beyond 50C. When I'm playing anything, my system may overheat and shut down. Again, this didn't happen before and I was able to game fine, my fans were running at a higher speed and the system stayed cool enough when gaming. I've tried to dust out the PC multiple times and it doesn't seem to have an effect. I've tried applications like SpeedFan and via BIOS to manage fan speeds, but I don't think the CPU heatsink is running at its max. I've already set the GPU cooler to run at max speed via Catalyst, doesn't have an effect on the mobo and CPU.

My system specs are:
Motherboard: BIOSTAR NF520D3
Processor: AMD Athlon II X3 455
Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 6670
Power supply: Came with the case, 500W
Hard drive: Hitachi 500GB SATAII

Anyone have any suggestions or anything, I'd really appreciate it.

dejanxd

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Oh and I forgot to add, I don't think I have thermal paste on this, I didn't build the computer myself but I don't remember seeing the person who did most of the work put any thermal paste on.