Using 1.7v RAM on i5 750 instead of 165v

feeble

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Hi,

I have just purchased the components for a new mid budget build. My motherboard is an ASUS p7p55d-e and my cpu is an i5 750. I purchased OCZ 4GB DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz Dual Channel Gold Series Memory RAM, but foolishly made a bit of an oversight when I found that the voltage is 1.7v when the maximum officially allowed by Intel for this cpu is 1.65. Now 0.05v doesn't sound like much to me, but obviously I don't want to take risks with frying my i5. Should I be able to get away with it? If so, does that mean I can moderately overclock the processor too = I have bought a Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler to replace the stock fan provided by Intel. All advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Andon48

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Your memory should run okay with that voltage, but you are significantly shortening the lifespan of your ram. As far as overclocking goes, you don't need the voltage that high unless you plan to run it well above 1600mhz. The memory frequency is set at a cartain ratio to your Bclk so when you increase the Bclk you are increasing the frequency of your ram. Drop that ratio (your memory multiplier) before you overclock your cpu so your memory stays in spec or close to it, otherwise you will hit a wall very fast. What you want to do is overclock your cpu to where you want it. Then download memtest 86+ and burn the iso to a disk. http://www.memtest.org/#downiso Boot from the disk and run memtest for a couple of hours maybe while you sleep, and if it doesn't fail it is stable. Drop the dram voltage and run it again until you run into stability problems, then bump it up a little. One more thing, there shouldn't be more than a 0.5V difference between your cpu vtt voltage and your dram voltage. I don't know why but I know that running it with more of a difference than that can damage your components.