Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I think my Graphic card might be bad. I get screen flicker in games &

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 26, 2009 10:16:35 AM

Do I need XFire or PhysX if I see flickering at highest rez? I have the HD-5870 and tested out Sacred 2 at the highest resolution and found flickering, if I back the rez off by 1 it plays fine. The game is a PhysX supported game so would I benefit by adding a PhysX card or do I need another HD-5870 for XFire? Of course I've updated Sacred 2 since then and not had time to test it. But any advice?
a b U Graphics card
October 26, 2009 10:53:41 AM

What do you mean by "flickering"? Are you trying to run a resolution higher than your monitor will support? What kind of monitor, what is the highest resolution it supports, and what are you trying to run?
m
l
October 26, 2009 11:16:26 AM

Sorry I'm at work right now. It's a 24" Gateway HD monitor and should support the highest resolution. My game is enabeld for PhysX but since I have an ATI card does that present a problem?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 26, 2009 11:52:20 AM

No problem. But enabling PhysX simply won't do anything if you are using an ATI card.
Are you sure about the monitor? When you say it will support the highest resolutions, that is not an entirely accurate statement. That video card will display resolutions much higher than your monitor is capable of using. Is the GPU detecting the monitor correctly in CCC? If it is, then you are fine, as it will allow only display properties/options that monitor is capable of using. If it is not detecting the monitor correctly, there will be many display options available that the monitor may not support.
m
l
October 26, 2009 11:58:17 AM

(a) If you're using a HD 5870, you most definitely do not need to crossfire it now. You probably won't need to crossfire it for atleast another 6 months and stil play all games at 1920x1200 with everything high.
PS - I say 1920x1200 because I'm pretty sure thats the highest resolution you monitor supports. Make sure you're not playing above that.

(b) If your monitor is 'flickering', its not because your graphics card is underpowered, Inadequate graphic card don't cause flickering, they cause framing. i would check your monitor refresh rate, v-sync option.
m
l
December 2, 2009 9:12:43 PM

I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64, an I7 875 and an HD-5870. When I play Sacred 2 I get heavy graphics flicker but when I asked it was attributed to the game not being compatible with Windows 7 64. I just installed Assassisins Creed and I get the same graphics flicker. Guild Wars and Titan Quest still play fine.
m
l
December 2, 2009 9:27:43 PM

Flicker? Or screen tearing? Flicker makes me think of a CRT and little bars going up or down on the screen from not high enough refresh rate or signal.

Screen tearing can be solved by turning on V-sync
m
l
December 3, 2009 2:47:23 AM

My refresh rate is at 60. Turning on V-Sinc? In the game or in the ATI Catylist Control center? I'm at work now so I can't check it.
m
l
December 3, 2009 5:43:03 AM

Could the problem be with my video card or the power supply?
m
l
December 3, 2009 12:20:35 PM

I think my Graphic card might be bad. I get screen flicker in games & 3d mark graphic test 1. How do I verify it? What should I do?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2009 12:54:21 PM

What OS are you using? If Vista or 7, you may need to disable desktop composition. Also, turn off any settings force in CCC or Control Panel. What are your full specs and OS?
m
l
December 3, 2009 5:16:49 PM

C.M. Storm Sniper Case, Intel I7-975 CPU, Cooler Master V8 CPU Cooler, ASUS Rampage II Extreme Motherboard, DOMINATOR 12GB DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 memory, HIS HD 5870 video card, WD 300GB 10000 RPM VelociRaptor dard drive, Gateway FDP2485W TFT LCD Monitor, LG Blu Ray Reader, Windows 7 64Bit
m
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
December 3, 2009 5:48:55 PM

I'd download the latest Driver from ATI and retest. If it still happens I would RMA the card. It's a brand new card and may be defecitve. Nothing stands out to me in your build.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2009 6:33:53 PM

yeah, that is definitely a solid build. Try the newest driver and disabling desktop composition. If that doesn't work, the card may be having issues. Also, keep an eye on heat while in use (CPUID HWMonitor is good for this).
m
l
December 4, 2009 1:09:09 AM

EXT64 said:
yeah, that is definitely a solid build. Try the newest driver and disabling desktop composition. If that doesn't work, the card may be having issues. Also, keep an eye on heat while in use (CPUID HWMonitor is good for this).
Can you better explain disabling desktop composition and settings force in CCC? I don't understand.
m
l
December 4, 2009 10:39:49 AM

Or possibly my monitor cable?
m
l
December 4, 2009 10:44:49 AM

Also could a bad monitor cable or underpowered power supply cause this? My PSU is is an Antec True Power Blue 750watt PSU. I already tried different ATI drivers and even without drivers and I still get screen tearing and streaks or flashes with any game I put in. Regular use is unaffected and everything is fine. I've yet to try blu ray movies, so as far as I know it only effects games.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2009 10:49:44 AM

For disabling Desktop Composition, go to the .exe of the program you want to run, right click and select properties, then the compatibility tab, then check 'disable desktop composition'.
m
l
December 5, 2009 1:22:55 PM

Nope didn't work. I also tried a different monitor and cable, different drivers and etc. Every time I try playing any game I get the flickering and streaks and when I run 3D benchmark in test 1 I get macro blocks. Normal use runs fine. Funny thing is I used this card in Windows Vista for a couple of days and it ran fine when I first got it. But then I reformatted and installed windows 7 84 bit and I'm not sure if it happened from the beginning or if it just happened. All my windows updates are current.
m
l
December 16, 2009 6:48:21 PM

Ok, the Graphics card was bad. It would display 2-D just fine but over stress the memory trying to display 3-D in games and such.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 16, 2009 6:50:36 PM

Yep, I've seen a lot like that recently.
m
l
December 16, 2009 6:51:09 PM

Problem solved, it was over stressed memory when trying to run 3-D games. 2-D displayed fine. it was a bad graphics card. I need to send it back tomorrow. (RMA)
m
l
December 16, 2009 6:52:26 PM

Problem solved, it was over stressed memory when trying to run 3-D games. 2-D displayed fine. it was a bad graphics card. I need to send it back tomorrow. (RMA)

m
l

Best solution

a c 271 U Graphics card
December 16, 2009 6:59:34 PM

This next topics has been merged by Mousemonkey
  • Do I need XFire or PhysX if I see flickering at highest rez?
  • What causes Graphics flicker? HD-5870
    !