Sign in with
Your question

Advice on system build

Last response: in Motherboards
June 11, 2010 11:29:46 AM

Hi folks,

I'm putting together a new system for myself and wanted to get some feedback on the hardware specs I've picked out so far. My goal is to put together a high-performance system without over-spending on components that are unnecessary or overkill.

I do a lot of graphics design work and run Adobe Creative Suite CS5. ie: Photoshop, After Effects, Adobe Premier (videoediting), etc.

Here is what I have so far:

Mobo = Asus P6X58D Premium
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131614
CPU = Intel i7 Bloomfield 2.8 GHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115225
Memory = G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231358
Graphics Card = ASUS ENGTX480/2DI/1536MD5 GeForce GTX 480
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121373

Comments?
Thanks

More about : advice system build

a c 135 V Motherboard
June 11, 2010 12:55:09 PM

Hello and welcome to the forums :) 
It looks a great system to me,but do you want to play games on it to ? because you didn't mention any gaming.So if you aren't going to play games on it,then there is no need to get a 480.You can save quite a lot of money by getting a card like 5750.
a c 295 V Motherboard
June 11, 2010 2:04:57 PM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

Nice rig, but I recommend to u some changes:

1- The mobo is a very good mobo, but the P6X58D-E is very solid and u can get a very similar performance for less price.
2- The RAM have a CL very high for performance, I suggest to u that u go with any one of this two: options one is 6GB tri channel and the other one is 12GB tr-channel with some a little multiplication u can see that the 1st option is more cheap that the 2nd one even if u buy two kits for 12GB.
Related resources
June 11, 2010 2:10:49 PM

Oh yes... I'm definitely going to play games on it. I just thought that Adobe CS5 video editing and all would take up much more system resources than games but perhaps I'm wrong on that.

I've also spec'd out 6 x 500GB hard disks in a RAID 0 configuration for performance. 3 of the 6 disks will go into 1 volume set and be my primary partition and the other 3 will go into a second volume set and be the backup partition.

But I see a lot of people putting in SSD in their systems. Are they putting the O/S on the SSD and then loading the data up on the other disks. Perhaps I should consider SSD as well.

Thanks for your response.
June 11, 2010 2:13:20 PM

saint19 said:
Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

Nice rig, but I recommend to u some changes:

1- The mobo is a very good mobo, but the P6X58D-E is very solid and u can get a very similar performance for less price.
2- The RAM have a CL very high for performance, I suggest to u that u go with any one of this two: options one is 6GB tri channel and the other one is 12GB tr-channel with some a little multiplication u can see that the 1st option is more cheap that the 2nd one even if u buy two kits for 12GB.

I've seen other recommendations for the G.Skill PI series in this forum. Would they be just as good as the Mem I have already selected? Is there any advantage to the RipJaws?

Thanks
a c 295 V Motherboard
June 11, 2010 2:32:34 PM

The PI series is much better that the Ripjaws series that u selected because the PI series is CL7 while the Ripjaws series is CL9. In other words both PI series and Ripjaws series have the same speed but different CL in that case, the PI series is more faster since the CL is more lower.

Like u can see, the important isn't only the amount of RAM, the CL and voltage is very important too.
June 11, 2010 2:37:23 PM

saint19 said:
The PI series is much better that the Ripjaws series that u selected because the PI series is CL7 while the Ripjaws series is CL9. In other words both PI series and Ripjaws series have the same speed but different CL in that case, the PI series is more faster since the CL is more lower.

Like u can see, the important isn't only the amount of RAM, the CL and voltage is very important too.

Awesome! Thanks for the advice.
a c 295 V Motherboard
June 11, 2010 2:54:01 PM

Any time that's why we are here.
!