Sign in with
Your question

Getting better results out of raid.

Last response: in Storage
November 1, 2011 6:38:42 PM

As I've expressed in an older post, I'm new to the raid scene. Is there anything I can do to improve my write speeds?

I'm running two kingston hyperx's in Raid 0 on a asrock z68 extreme7 gen3

More about : results raid

a b G Storage
November 1, 2011 7:06:57 PM

:o  jeez that's fast, but you still want faster than that!?
i guess you could make it a 3 disk raid 0. hell, give it 4 disks.
m
l
November 1, 2011 7:36:27 PM

I guess my concern is over the sequential write. I was expecting something closer to 450?
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
November 2, 2011 1:36:50 PM

theoretically you can read and write twice as fast to a two disk raid0 as you could to a single disk.
realistically though, that doesn't happen, and write speeds typically fall shorter more-so than read speeds, especially on cheaper raid controllers.

my hunch is you're running this raid stright off your motherboard's built-in controller, right? if you want higher write speeds then i'm inclined to say using a proper controller card is likely what you'd need.
m
l
a c 289 G Storage
November 2, 2011 2:51:41 PM

I am curious. What actual gain do you get from this whizzy-fast setup? Are there any practical results (faster load times, faster Photoshop) or are the results limited to benchies? Nothing wrong with pushing benchies, I used to do that in my spare time, but I'm looking for anecdotes of real-world gains.
m
l
November 3, 2011 12:01:29 AM

You know, Honestly I don't have anything single SSD to compare it to so I'm not sure if the raid setup is making any noticeable gains However I'm self employed and can work on my pc upwards of 16 hours a day across multiple applications. Its nice knowing I'm not spending hours a week waiting for things to load. Currently pretty much everything including Photoshop loads almost instantly.

I don't upgrade often, when I do I like to go all out.
m
l
a c 289 G Storage
November 3, 2011 11:59:15 AM

bms85 said:
Currently pretty much everything including Photoshop loads almost instantly.

Do you put working data on SSD, too? See any difference there, if you do? Inquiring minds want to know.
m
l
November 4, 2011 6:29:48 PM

Yeah, huge gains across the board. It almost makes me giggle a bit every time I open something large. I've been really sick most of the week but now that i'm moving things over I've realized it really is stupid fast.

I think i'll end up doing a lot of re-arranging based on what projects I'm working on. I'll Keep the active projects on SSD and send them to HDD for storage when finished. SSDs are still way too costly to use them for storage. Really all I can say is WOW when it comes to read speed.
m
l
November 4, 2011 6:38:55 PM

Branden said:
theoretically you can read and write twice as fast to a two disk raid0 as you could to a single disk.
realistically though, that doesn't happen, and write speeds typically fall shorter more-so than read speeds, especially on cheaper raid controllers.

my hunch is you're running this raid stright off your motherboard's built-in controller, right? if you want higher write speeds then i'm inclined to say using a proper controller card is likely what you'd need.

Somehow I missed this reply. Thanks for the info, you're correct about using my mobo controller. I'll look into a raid card but honestly I think this will do for my uses. Now that I'm using it, it really is a bit ridiculous. If everything is turned off windows loads before I can turn on my monitors, and photoshop, premier pro, etc. load between 1 and 2 seconds. I think I'm content.
m
l
!