Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Any Cooler Better Than The Noctua NH-D14?

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
May 13, 2012 3:09:56 PM

I intended to buy the NH-D14, but then I realised it wasn't compatible with Socket 1155 - and I am getting an i7 3770k processor. This means I have to change my fan.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend me a fan just as good/if not better than the NH-D14 - as I am a noob and this is my first PC build. I also live in the UK and would prefer it if you could find the fan off of:
ebuyer.com

My motherboard is the: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H Socket 1155 VGA DVI HDMI 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

Thank you!

More about : cooler noctua d14

May 15, 2012 3:32:42 AM

silver arrow thermalright. 5 degrees difference.
a b K Overclocking
May 15, 2012 3:44:27 AM

hnijhar said:
silver arrow thermalright. 5 degrees difference.


this is plain misinformation. the silver arrow might be better by a degree with certain fans but in no way is it 5 degrees better. thats preposterous.

OP to answer your question, no the silver arrow and phanteks equal it and in certain cases are better but the nh-d14 is easy to get compared to the silver arrow and is cheaper then the phanteks.

proof

http://www.kitguru.net/components/henry-butt/phanteks-p...
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/therma...
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
May 18, 2012 2:06:12 AM

also, the noctua will give you better ram clearance because of the 120m side fan on the cooler rather than the 140mms on the silver arrow
a b K Overclocking
May 19, 2012 3:27:13 PM

BigMack70 said:
How is the NH-D14 not compatible with socket 1155? I'm running an NH-D14 on my i7-2600k right now, and last I checked that's socket 1155.

And yeah nothing really beats the Noctua. The Silver Arrow and the new dual tower Phanteks cooler maybe beat it by 1-2 degrees, but not in every review. They definitely don't beat it by 5C.

SE2011 isnt compatible. he might have been looking at that one.
a b K Overclocking
May 24, 2012 4:02:24 PM

the se2011 is the same cooler but it includes a 2011 bracket. it still has 1155 mounting hardware
May 29, 2012 1:39:57 AM

cbrunnem said:
this is plain misinformation. the silver arrow might be better by a degree with certain fans but in no way is it 5 degrees better. thats preposterous.

OP to answer your question, no the silver arrow and phanteks equal it and in certain cases are better but the nh-d14 is easy to get compared to the silver arrow and is cheaper then the phanteks.

proof

http://www.kitguru.net/components/henry-butt/phanteks-p...
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/therma...


^^^
Jesus Christ dude don't be such a nerd. It is not that serious.

Go with the Noctua it is great. Are there better things yes. By a lot no. It isn't that serious. Will -1-10 degrees matter not at all.

If you are going with a Intel build IF and WHEN your CPU ever gets hot enough it will shut down. Will this ever happen not at all. Unless by some godly nature you mount whatever heatsink that badly.

Seriously stick with the Noctua NH-D14 it is good. If you want to save money and don't care about a bit of noise in the dead silence use a Cooler Master Hyper 212 and switch out the fans if it is that unbearable for you.
a b K Overclocking
May 29, 2012 1:49:28 AM

Razec69 said:
^^^
Jesus Christ dude don't be such a nerd. It is not that serious.

Go with the Noctua it is great. Are there better things yes. By a lot no. It isn't that serious. Will -1-10 degrees matter not at all.

If you are going with a Intel build IF and WHEN your CPU ever gets hot enough it will shut down. Will this ever happen not at all. Unless by some godly nature you mount whatever heatsink that badly.

Seriously stick with the Noctua NH-D14 it is good. If you want to save money and don't care about a bit of noise in the dead silence use a Cooler Master Hyper 212 and switch out the fans if it is that unbearable for you.


ummm 10 degrees could be the difference from a 4.8 overclock and a 4.5-4.6 overclock. we are not talking about stock clocks here. so i dont know why you are talking about the computer shutting itself off because someone whos looking to buy the best heatsink is most likely overclocking and also most likely going to watch their temps.
May 29, 2012 1:51:43 AM

Again not that serious take your nerd thong off.

If you can't tell sarcasm my friend you really desperately need to get out more.

Seriously go outside.
a c 150 K Overclocking
May 29, 2012 3:12:19 AM

Razec69 said:
Again not that serious take your nerd thong off.

If you can't tell sarcasm my friend you really desperately need to get out more.

Seriously go outside.

Go away.
a c 150 K Overclocking
May 29, 2012 3:12:41 AM

Any custom watercooling loop will outperform the NH-D14.
a b K Overclocking
May 29, 2012 3:44:24 PM

only if you have more than 3-4 rads
May 29, 2012 4:01:51 PM

Razec69 said:
Again not that serious take your nerd thong off.

If you can't tell sarcasm my friend you really desperately need to get out more.

Seriously go outside.


What are you even trying to get at? This guy is answering the question and you are jumping on him.
You need to just relax for a second, geez...
May 29, 2012 4:04:55 PM

You should take a look at the Phanteks PH-TC14PE. Its more or less just as good as the D-14, and its prettier. But, it's a little bit noisier and is more expensive then the d-14. IMO, don't even bother with the silver arrow.
May 29, 2012 4:42:15 PM

boodahz said:
What are you even trying to get at? This guy is answering the question and you are jumping on him.
You need to just relax for a second, geez...


Read what he said he was butchering an answer because it was marginally incorrect.

The guy said a certain config is better by 5 degrees. Even if this the case it's not a huge difference. That's what pissed me off that this guy has to go all super nerd action because of a 5 degree discrepancy. If no one can see my point then I guess this forum is a bit too anal for me.

I didn't disagree on the fact that the Noctua is the best and only a pair of heats inks win over it wi having a certain config of fans going all ape **** for a guy saying it wins by 5 degrees that is the ridiculous part. Again like I said regardless of the case he shouldn't have gone so insane about it.
a b K Overclocking
May 29, 2012 9:22:30 PM

Razec69 said:
Read what he said he was butchering an answer because it was marginally incorrect.

The guy said a certain config is better by 5 degrees. Even if this the case it's not a huge difference. That's what pissed me off that this guy has to go all super nerd action because of a 5 degree discrepancy. If no one can see my point then I guess this forum is a bit too anal for me.

I didn't disagree on the fact that the Noctua is the best and only a pair of heats inks win over it wi having a certain config of fans going all ape **** for a guy saying it wins by 5 degrees that is the ridiculous part. Again like I said regardless of the case he shouldn't have gone so insane about it.


when 90% of heatsinks out there are within a 15-20 degree window then 5 degrees is big. also 5 degrees could be the difference between a cpu lasting 3 years or 5. it sounds like you have never had any post secondary technical education to me.
May 30, 2012 12:51:24 AM

cbrunnem said:
when 90% of heatsinks out there are within a 15-20 degree window then 5 degrees is big. also 5 degrees could be the difference between a cpu lasting 3 years or 5. it sounds like you have never had any post secondary technical education to me.



If you want to believe that good for you. I'm extremely happy and satisfied with my education, and continue to further to my liking, so thanks for your worrying.

I had a Pentium 4 running at over 90 Celsius for over 5 years. Almost all day, everyday. Nothing had to in, in fact I still have it, in a closet in the next room.

Do you know how they do these tests? Do you really think they have the luxury of having a CPU running at certain temperatures for 3-5 years? It is all theory. It is all short term tests done at ridiculous variables and then jotted down and divided to real world conditions.

Don't believe everything they say out there until you experience it yourself.

I also had a friend with a i7 2700k die on him within 2 weeks with a Noctua NH-D14 with 3 fan config. I guess his temps were too high right.

Just wanted to add I don't know everything as I still have a lot to learn with computers since it is one of the few things that make sense to me and what I am happy with and is changing on a minute to minute basis. But almost everything I've learned has been through experience. I've learned in life that a lot of what people say you must take with a grain of salt. Because all the he say she say BS gets lost in translation.
a b K Overclocking
May 30, 2012 12:56:17 AM

Razec69 said:
If you want to believe that good for you. I'm extremely happy and satisfied with my education, and continue to further to my liking, so thanks for your worrying.

I had a Pentium 4 running at over 90 Celsius for over 5 years. Almost all day, everyday. Nothing had to in, in fact I still have it, in a closet in the next room.

Do you know how they do these tests? Do you really think they have the luxury of having a CPU running at certain temperatures for 3-5 years? It is all theory. It is all short term tests done at ridiculous variables and then jotted down and divided to real world conditions.

Don't believe everything they say out there until you experience it yourself.

I also had a friend with a i7 2700k die on him within 2 weeks with a Noctua NH-D14 with 3 fan config. I guess his temps were too high right.


you do realize that when you reduce the lithography or die shrink that the architecture can take less and less heat due to the smaller thickness??? older cpus can withstand higher temps.
a b K Overclocking
May 30, 2012 3:07:55 AM

cbrunnem said:
you do realize that when you reduce the lithography or die shrink that the architecture can take less and less heat due to the smaller thickness??? older cpus can withstand higher temps.


I DO!!!!! :D  :lol:  :D  :sol: 
!