Sign in with
Your question

Can't decide whether to buy an ssd or not.

Tags:
  • SSD
  • Computer
  • Slow Startup
  • Storage
  • Product
Last response: in Storage
November 1, 2011 9:58:09 PM

Slowly, the articles on this site mixed with my computer's slow boot time are making me itch for an ssd.
Thing is, i can't see myself buying one under 200GB. Managing a two drive setup where both drives contain programs would waste more of my time then the ssd would save me.

The problem with 200+GB ssds is that i could buy another 6950 for the same price. Or watercool my cpu and gpu with enough left over to buy some nice earphones.

I guess the only way to justify that expense is if it were to last a few years. What are people's thoughts on the future pricing of ssds? Would i regret buying a 256GB m4 for $380 in a year?

It's driving me nuts, i feel like i need the ssd but near $400 on storage is insane.

More about : decide buy ssd

a c 265 G Storage
November 1, 2011 11:41:20 PM

Prices will come down so it is up to you to answer the question! For a regular consumer/gamer having a 128GB for the OS and favorite program/game makes for a snappy system.
a b G Storage
November 2, 2011 12:07:59 AM

^ agree - I don't have much of an issue with my 64GB Intel SSD - sure you would be fine with a 120GB. You will not regret it!!!
-Bruce
Related resources
a c 415 G Storage
November 2, 2011 6:02:39 AM

Having your less frequently used programs on your hard drive instead of your SSD really isn't that big a deal. You only need to point them at the correct directory once when you install them, and from that point on most programs are smart enough that if you need to update them they'll automatically go to the original installation folder.
a b G Storage
August 9, 2013 7:36:17 AM

I have to go with yes unless you like long wait times when installing stuff, booting up your OS, gaming (specifically loading screens) and loading large applications.
August 9, 2013 11:00:04 AM

The Kasafist said:
I have to go with yes unless you like long wait times when installing stuff, booting up your OS, gaming (specifically loading screens) and loading large applications.

this thread is two years old...
!