Can't decide whether to buy an ssd or not.

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
Slowly, the articles on this site mixed with my computer's slow boot time are making me itch for an ssd.
Thing is, i can't see myself buying one under 200GB. Managing a two drive setup where both drives contain programs would waste more of my time then the ssd would save me.

The problem with 200+GB ssds is that i could buy another 6950 for the same price. Or watercool my cpu and gpu with enough left over to buy some nice earphones.

I guess the only way to justify that expense is if it were to last a few years. What are people's thoughts on the future pricing of ssds? Would i regret buying a 256GB m4 for $380 in a year?

It's driving me nuts, i feel like i need the ssd but near $400 on storage is insane.

Having your less frequently used programs on your hard drive instead of your SSD really isn't that big a deal. You only need to point them at the correct directory once when you install them, and from that point on most programs are smart enough that if you need to update them they'll automatically go to the original installation folder.

The Kasafist

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
I have to go with yes unless you like long wait times when installing stuff, booting up your OS, gaming (specifically loading screens) and loading large applications.

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011

this thread is two years old...