Sign in with
Your question

Beginner to OC abit aw9d-max & conroe 2.2ghz

Last response: in Overclocking
May 13, 2012 8:08:47 PM

Hi all

Im not really knowledgeable with the hardware side of things. I have the ABIT aw9d-max motherboard I bought a while back and now time has pushed on and I need to squeeze out more from it. The processor is the main bottle neck.

I havent overclocked b4. Its a socket 775 LGA. Intel core 2 duo conroe E4500 2.2 GHz processor.

From what I gather both the mboard and chip are great for overclocking. I got a new fan a while back that keeps the chip sub 30 degrees Celcius.

I have the abit UGuru software installed and its working. I dont yet have much time to invest inresearch as im too busy but im willing to try a few twaeks but need a guideline. So far I have used uguru to slide the EXT-CLK from 204mhz to 251mhz. does that mean I now have a 2.5 GHZ processor??

Anyway Im interested in OC but cant afford to trash my work, research play, study computer system which i rely very heavily upon. Biut I need more grunt for virtuak machines and shogun 2 total war(that game needs cpu more so than video I think)

Any tips on what steps to take and what software to use to verify everything? Is the UGuru utility all that i need for overclocking & what do you think is the max I can squeeze out of this 2.2ghz system?

Thanks for reading need any logs etc. let me know

All the best

Confuseis
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
May 13, 2012 8:43:08 PM

What's yer RAMs?

If you are 251MHz, multiply by 11 (your CPU multiplier)

May 14, 2012 8:02:23 PM

Hi

Got 2,

2 GB pc2-6400 ddr2 cl5-5 5ddr21066 52

2 1 GB pc2-5300 ddr2 128x-6m-67E

The 6400 ones have fancy serrated heatsink. The 251MHZ i beklieve for the ext-clk is the FSB spped suposse I gotta goto the BIOS as the processor is the big boy for performance im guessing.

a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
May 14, 2012 8:29:26 PM

yup

running 2 dirrerent speed rams will hold back your OC, thought the 1066MHz probably defaults to 800MHz -- you might be able to check that with CPUz.

11x251MHz should be a nice boost over stock. It can likely go higher with some tweaking

May 15, 2012 4:40:53 PM

I see. Suppose tis the core CPU speed im interested in OC. How is this typically done?

Thanks.
January 31, 2013 12:27:04 PM

Hi,

Could you help me pls; I had a hd crash and had to replace it, before the OS (win) installation I wanted to reinstall all drivers but my DRIVERS & UTILITY CD seems to be useless (scratched). Do you know a way (or web-site link) where to get a new copy (or an ISO-file to burn a new one) ?

I would appreciate your reply

grts
Patrick Vacquier
Belgium
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 31, 2013 1:50:13 PM

PatrickV said:
Hi,

Could you help me pls; I had a hd crash and had to replace it, before the OS (win) installation I wanted to reinstall all drivers but my DRIVERS & UTILITY CD seems to be useless (scratched). Do you know a way (or web-site link) where to get a new copy (or an ISO-file to burn a new one) ?

I would appreciate your reply

grts
Patrick Vacquier
Belgium

Check the support section of your motherboard manufacturers website, Patrick

January 31, 2013 2:02:48 PM

No longer actif (closed in 2008) so I have to search people having the same MOBO

nevertheless THNX
Patrick
!