Sign in with
Your question

How will World of Warcraft fair?

Last response: in Systems
December 1, 2009 12:19:13 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This week or next week.
BUDGET RANGE: Looking to keep it around 600~700 dollars. It can stretch to 800, but the more I spend, the less I have for a monitor.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming is number one, second is internet and media.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, mouse.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Preferring newegg.com.
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA.

PARTS PREFERENCES: No real preference, see additional comments.

OVERCLOCKING:
Potential, yes. I'd like to try it.
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Not sure what either of these are.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Either whatever is purchased, or a 27" monitor. Not sure if I'll be able to get the 27", though, so don't add that in yet.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I'll need an OS of some sort. For preference of parts, whatever will run World of Warcraft at preferably middle to mid-high settings. If it's possible to high high within this budget, +1 for you. The only games I'll be playing is World of Warcraft and lower-required MMORPGs. Thanks for everything.

More about : world warcraft fair

December 1, 2009 1:30:18 AM

Here's a good build for you:

CPU & Mobo: AMD Phenom II x2 550 & GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P $145 (-$10 MIR)
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB DDR3 1333 $100
GPU: SAPPHIRE 100283-2L Radeon HD 5770 $165
HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB $55
Optical: Samsung Black w/LightScribe $32

Case: Antec 300 $55
PSU: OCZ Fatal1ty 550W $65 (-$25 MIR)
--------------------------------------------
$717 ($682 after Rebates)

This machine will destroy WoW at the highest settings, even at 1920 x 1080. This CPU is a "Black Edition," and while it's not the most powerful canon in the fleet, it will still overclock very well. The Gigabyte board it is paired with should allow for some decent overclocks.

Since price is a concern: if you go for a cheaper case & PSU, you can shave off some money, although I wouldn't recommend it. A good case and a good PSU will make your life easier and are just as important as any other component. Still, if you want to save some coin, you can hack both components to about $40 (total). You could also drop the GPU to something much less powerful for just WoW. An HD4850 would be plenty, and it runs about $100 or so, although the HD 5770 supports DirectX11 and is a considerably better card (it's well worth the extra money). If you'd like to try and get under $600 we can build a machine that should still play WoW fine for at that price window, but you're not wasting money by investing in the better components.

PS - 27" Monitor is enormous, both in size and cost! 23" would still look terrific, and would cost about half as much! Check out: Asus VH236H Black 23" (1080p) $200 (-$20 MIR) = $180 after rebate. The cheapest 27" monitor on NewEgg is $370, over twice as much for an extra 4 inches.
m
l
December 1, 2009 1:35:28 AM

You are my savior! Literally, I've been staring at parts for weeks and I haven't been able to decide on anything. But thanks to you, now I can browse at the configuration happily.

I shouldn't need to shave off any money. I actually might pump a tad more into a Case for looks, such as that Cool Master one that's on the holiday sale.

Thanks again. :D 
m
l
Related resources
December 1, 2009 7:12:26 PM

Bumping this, because I'm curious if anyone has their opinion on the matter that can run it for 750.00, including a monitor and still do well?

The games I'm looking to run well are Warhammer Online and World of Warcraft.
m
l
December 1, 2009 8:33:14 PM

$750 with a monitor is not doable without skimping on parts.
m
l
December 1, 2009 8:51:31 PM

Well, then, for the time being leave out the monitor. Did nofun hit it on the nose with his build, or do you have a recommendation of your own?
m
l
December 1, 2009 8:53:45 PM

Quote:
HD4850 would be plenty, and it runs about $100 or so, although the HD 5770 supports DirectX11 and is a considerably better card (it's well worth the extra money).

how does the 4890 compare to the 5770?
m
l
December 1, 2009 9:01:02 PM

Nofun's build is about the best for the money.
m
l
December 1, 2009 9:23:29 PM

@Rodney - that's the case I was planning on getting if I order before the deal expires.

@Sonic - do you agree with nofun's statement of '-insert build here- will destroy WoW.'?
m
l
December 1, 2009 10:13:03 PM

Gentleman said:
@Rodney - that's the case I was planning on getting if I order before the deal expires.

@Sonic - do you agree with nofun's statement of '-insert build here- will destroy WoW.'?

That Coolermaster is a great deal, definitely go for it!

My laptop has a Quadro NVS 140 (a low-end, entry level, workstation graphics card) and a 3DMark06 score of about 1,500. It ran WoW with high settings at 1200 x 800. I think I turned the fog distance to about 2/3, and had no problems at all even in capitals, everything else was maxed.

Here is the 3DMark06 Score for the 5770 from Tom's Hardware benchmarks: ~17,000

Now granted:
- This is with an i7-920 setup (so as not to bottleneck any of the GPUs); however, the HD 5770 will not be bottlenecked by the CPU/mobo I listed. You may see a slightly lower 3DMark06 score, but nothing significant.
- You want to run at 1900 x 1080 or better, and this will place higher demand on the GPU

Still, you should be able to max out everything in WoW and never drop below 30 FPS even in crowded cities. Full Screen Glow Effect, AA, Max Fog Distance, etc: should be no problem.
m
l
December 1, 2009 10:18:54 PM

As long as I can expect something rather decent with my budget, any build seems to be okay with me. Thanks for confirming my questions though, nofun.
m
l
December 1, 2009 10:21:38 PM

Yes, WoW is not very hardware demanding. You can max out the graphics on WoW with that build.
m
l
December 1, 2009 10:24:16 PM

And the approximated FPS that I would get, as approximated as you can .. approximate?

Will the build do well end-game with higher raids, encompassing larger people?
m
l
December 1, 2009 10:27:16 PM

Gentleman said:
Bumping this, because I'm curious if anyone has their opinion on the matter that can run it for 750.00, including a monitor and still do well?

The games I'm looking to run well are Warhammer Online and World of Warcraft.

WAR has significantly higher requirements than WoW, still a 3DMark06 score of about 10,000 should be plenty to run this at respectable settings. Here's the only benchmark chart I could find (it's in German, but you get the idea):
http://www.pcgameshardware.com/&menu=browser&image_id=897249&article_id=660322&page=1&show=n
^The HD 3850 roughly has a 3DMark06 score of 10,000 (depending on the rest of your hardware).

Would you be willing to get a 23" Monitor? If so, then I'll give you a price around 750, otherwise I don't think it will be possible...
m
l
December 1, 2009 10:34:43 PM

Just a note, that CoolerMaster deal expires today so if your gonna get it, you gotta do it soon.
m
l
December 1, 2009 10:35:09 PM

Oh, for some reason I figured WAR and WoW were similar in what they required to run the games at X amount of efficiency.

The monitor doesn't necessarily have to be included. If there was a possibility of running up a build for one encompassing a monitor and one without, while saying somewhere about what I'm giving up for a monitor and etc, that'd be fantastic as well.

Respectable can mean different things for different people, though, so what does it mean for you? The general build you gave me is lovely, price and everything.
m
l
December 1, 2009 10:37:12 PM

Gentleman said:
And the approximated FPS that I would get, as approximated as you can .. approximate?

Will the build do well end-game with higher raids, encompassing larger people?

Yes, definitely. There is no real way to tell you what FPS you will get as WoW is dependent on your internet as well when it's trying to load large masses of people. However, see this review:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/mainstream-cards-mmorpg_14.html#sect0

Keep in mind that a 5770 will give noticeably better performance than a 4850. There's no way to know what settings they were under when they took these benchmarks; however, even with AA and AF turned way up, and even at 1900 x 1200, you're still around 30 FPS with the 4850. I will tell you that even in raids or capitals or AV (they still have AV right?) that your game will look terrific and still be plenty playable.
m
l
December 1, 2009 10:41:40 PM

Gentleman said:
Respectable can mean different things for different people, though, so what does it mean for you? The general build you gave me is lovely, price and everything.

Basically: Smooth animations that don't interfere with gameplay, crisp models with detailed textures and spells, moderate terrain texturing, and a moderate fog distance. I had a roommate with a 9800 GT (the HD 5770 beats it hands down) and his system ran it beautifully. Spells looked good, models looked good, animations were smooth in battlegrounds. I don't know exactly what settings he used, and I can't guarantee what kind of performance you will see in the mass PvP lag-pits; however, suffice to say it will have a playable frame rate and the game will look GOOD.
m
l
December 1, 2009 10:49:56 PM

There is one quick addendum I will make:

The motherboard I linked only has a single PCIe 2.0 16x slot in it, which means you will not be able to crossfire cards at a later date. If you wanted to, you could upgrade to a slightly better motherboard with 2 PCIe 2.0 16x slots and this will give you room to crossfire another ATI card at a later date. Just food for thought.
m
l
December 1, 2009 11:11:39 PM

Ooh, that's the kind of respectable I'd like to hear.
And is that respectable geared towards Warhammer or WoW? Or both?
And if I planned to Crossfire at a later date, I'd upgrade then. But for now, I'll probably be fine without doing it as I don't feel I have a real need to.
m
l
!