Phenom II cooling issues case or cooler?

revwoode

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
i can get my idle temps below 48C and i hitting 68C under load for my phenom II 710 which shuts the computer down at that point i have:

gigabyte board
HIS ati 4670 gpu
3 gig of ram kingston brand ddr 2 677
this cpu cooler http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/cpu/031/sckc1000_detail.html
rosewill 430watt psu
cheap powerspec micro case

i just cut a window in the side with a 80 mm intake fan blowing over the gpu and 120 mm intake fan in the front then a 120 mm exhaust fan in the rear sensor view shows

cpu 48c
sys 27c
aux52c
hdd0 30c
hd1 29c

is this nornal for this small setup and the amd cpu? i thought the cpu cooller would help but seems to have went up from about 38c idle on the stock cooler. also before i had the 4th core unlock OC to 2.9 after this new cpu cooler i had to reset back to 3 cores and stock speeds just to keep it from idling in the 50's

and thoughts to cool this thing down my budget i could put into this is about 70 dollars. be it for a new case better cooler or what but cod mw2 would shut me down after a hour of single player play

thanks
C

tecmo34

Administrator
I think you issue is related to your method of applying the heat sink or thermal compound. I would recommend removing the heat sink, clean the thermal compound off than reapply the compound with a pea size dot and reinstall the heat sink. You'll need to make sure it is tighly secured to the motherboard.

These steps should help improve your CPU temps. Your other temps look decent, so I don't think it is related to your case.

revwoode

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
thanks for the reply i was thinking the same thing the frist time i installed the new cooler then i google a few howto vid used about a pea size and still hot so i repeated the process again buti thinking i might have put to much on its was alot thicker looking. im gonna give it one more shoot at apply paste

revwoode

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
ok i reinstalled paste rotated the cooler 180' and put my side fan as a exhaust fan over the gpu and bottom of the mb. my idle temps are down to 42C.i also lower my cpu volts to 1.31v. still seem high is this cpu cooler design to blame maybe with it being a top mounted fan instead of side mounted?