Solved

XFire Hybrid OB and 5770 - Thoughts?

Ok, so I just picked up a 5770 and dropped it into my new MOBO.

SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail

GIGABYTE GA-MA790GPT-UD3H AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

So this MOBO has the following graphics:

ATI Radeon HD 3300 Graphics
128MB DDR3 SidePort memory

I immediately went and disabled the on-board graphics and was getting ready to install Win7-64bit when I discovered the WD Black 640GB I purchased for the system came DOA. So, I'm the in the process of an RMA with NewEgg when I decided to RTFMs. ;)

What I came across is that the OB graphics can be Hybrid Cross-Fired with a PCI-E graphics card (i.e. my 5770). I obviously don't have my system totally set up to test this for myself yet but I was wondering if anyone else had experience with this MOBO + card combo or perhaps some other on-board/PCI-e card combo and what you have discovered from your testing.

My first thought was that the OB graphics of the MOBO don't even hold a candle to the 5770 so if anything it will slow my graphics processing down and will actually steal 512MB of system RAM that could be used elsewhere. But then I thought that maybe it was worth trying a Crossfire of the OB and the 5770. Thoughts?
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about xfire hybrid 5770 thoughts
  1. hybrid crossfire only supports weak card from ati 3000 series. so far there is no 4000 series or 5000 series cards able to hybrid crossfire with on board graphic
  2. Best answer
    It wouldnt work even with a bios hack due to one being dx11 the other dx10.1, but even if you "could" crossfire these it woudl end up performing FAR worse than a 5770 on its own.
  3. That's what I figured.. Thanks, guys.. It's why I bought the MOBO I did so I can eventually Crossfire another 5770.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Graphics Product