PC boot-up speed vs processor type

greenep

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Which will boot a PC faster - a dual or a quad processor (assuming same clock speeds and cache sizes)? Does it make any difference to the boot-up process?

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
^ Agree with the above statements. No. of cores don't have that much influence with the boot process as it basically loads up data from the HDD. A HDD/SSD with fast read times would definitely make a difference.

What you saying? :non:

If you have a only, oh lets said 1GB or somehow less ram on a 64bit OS, the fastest ssd and HDD will be bottlenecked by the system memory.

I recently upgraded a family friends computer ram recently due to booting up into windows was taking an over an half an hour. Yes half an hour and sometimes longer! Went from 512MB of ram and to 2GB of ram, the Os was loaded up under a minute.

So, the storage drive is not the most limiting factor but it's a common one.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
^Sorry, i should have explained the most common for reasonable PC's, if you have ancient PC, yes it is a problem, but in modern day rigs of most people the storage device is the limiter. I apoligize for not stating "most" systems, not all.

mrmazo

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
In my case, my old system ( XP2100+ Compaq ) definately benefitted from installing a better hard drive and more memory. But, the biggest gains were made ( and this may seem basic ) was to prevent unnessicary programs from loading at startup. My system is also on a wireless home network and many programs go out to the internet to look for updates causing further system confusion. The problem was, many of those programs would load before the wireless network was connected, causing all sorts of " unable to connect " messages and very slow boot times, Yahoo Messanger being the biggest culprit. I was able to recognise about 6 or so programs that weren't needed at startup. What once took over 10 minutes to boot is now less than three minutes.

Ah, much better. i do agree that common system wont have this problem for a while.

:lol: I tried that a couple of weeks back to see whether W7 could run on 256MB of RAM (I was bored that day), 1 hour 12min from entering password to a desktop with all my icons.

astrodudepsu

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009

That's taking bored to a whole new level. Good info to know though.

greenep

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010

Thanks for all the comments. I suspected the HDD and RAM bottlenecks would dominate. The issue raised by mrmazo about network access during boot-up is something I have been suspicious about, too. I'm going to disconnect my network and see if it makes a difference in boot speed.

By the way, my system is a ECS motherboard with Core 2 Duo 7300 and 2G of RAM. I'm trying to decide between a faster duo (such as the 8500) or a slower quad for the same price. I'm not a gamer, so I probably don't really need a quad.

Well depending on what your doing, i think your C2D e7300 is just fine.

What os and Os bit do you use? If it's 32 bit xp, vista, or 7 then 2 GB of ram is fine. it's you're HDD most likely slowing you down.

If it 64 bit vista, or 7 then you should grab 2 more Gbs of ram. making it 4 GB of ram.

greenep

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Here is a potential helper for faster booting. The new HDDBoost from Silverstone lets you add a SSD as a cache for your HDD. It is very new (last week!) so there are no reviews or tests yet. If you could force it to hold the boot code, it could be very fast! By the way - any idea how big the boot code is (for an XP system)?

greenep

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010

HDD cache is RAM, so you lose the contents when power is removed. SSD is non-volatile FLASH, so the contents stay put. That's why it could decrease boot time. You would need to "protect" the boot code area from being over-written after initial load.

BigEasyOne

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
i know this thread is most likely dead but there are more ways to boot faster maybe even the fastest without investing in an ssd... provided that faster boot times is the reason for going to an ssd. there are solid state embedded boot-able usb drive modules that attach to the motherboard usb bus. these modules hold the os and boot code/cashe in non-volatile memory. check it for yourself here http://www.memorydepot.com/ssd_diskonmodule_usb.asp. it is exactly what you are looking for. if you want to boot fast don't pay for more ssd than you need for your purpose. many only look for fast boot times, fast storage is another topic all together. do you really need faster storage?

no1spank

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011

You could place the page file on a second drive or on a usb as long as you have the minimum size on the primary drive when going usb route.