FSX Multithreading?

raybob95

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Most of the reason I went with the Intel Core i7 was because people said that FSX would really shine with Hyperthreading. Lie.

How do I get FSX to utilize my whole computer? Right now I'm getting 20 FPS because it's only using 1 core out of 8 on the CPU and EVGA Precision says that only 20% of the GPU power is being used. Setting the affinity of the program to only 1 core did not drop the FPS at all, so I know it's not using any of the other ones.

How do I get FSX to utilize my computer more? Was everybody just lying when they said that more cores would help?

Do you have the latest updates for FSX installed? One of its service packs expanded it to being able to use up to 256 cores, if you dont have that that might be the issue, also check in the games settings and make sure it doesnt have an option for multicore rendering or something similar that might not be enabled.

raybob95

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
I have Service Pack 1. That upgraded my frames from like 15 to 17, but also added a studder every few seconds which overall made it worse.

Considering that every setting isn't even at full, 20 FPS MAX on a Core i7 OC / GTX 275 OC seems pretty poor. I'll try installing SP2 and see if it helps.

raybob95

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Well, after reinstalling the game and installing SP1 and SP2, it now uses up to 50% of the i7 and 40% of the GPU. However, I'm still getting the same frame rate.

But that's with DX10, I'm gonna try DX9 now and see what happens.

raybob95

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Well, after SP2, and adjusting a few settings, I now generally get around 25 FPS on the ground and 50+ in the air. However, with FRAPS on it's 8 FPS on the ground and 20 in the air. A little more of a drop than I would have liked to have seen.