Sign in with
Your question

Loose mobo screws

Last response: in Systems
December 1, 2009 1:10:19 AM

Hello again. Ive been on and off the forums trying to figure things out with the new pc I built. So far so good until a mobo screw fell off today. I tried tightening it but it would just keep going.. and going. and never tighten. The other screws were fine. I thought it was the standoff or perhaps the screw so I replaced both. No luck. I took the troublesome screw and standoff out (probably a bad idea) and tighten the rest. Seemed fine for a few minutes. Until two more wouldn't tighten.

case - antec 300
mobo - msi 785g e65

also is there a way for me to delete threads? Still kind of new to this.

More about : loose mobo screws

December 1, 2009 1:16:12 AM

Dont think you can delete threads, anyhow,

ave you tried different screws, one's with different threads.

two possible culprits, either the screws are not big enough, or the hole for the screws are messed up. Most likely its the screws, so try a bigger screw.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 1, 2009 1:30:02 AM

OR the holes for the standoffs are now stripped and you get to buy a new case. If I were you I'd ignore it unless it caused problems. Just don't take the motherboard off and expect to get it on again.
m
l
Related resources
December 1, 2009 1:37:47 AM

So does the standoff keep spinning when you try to thread it into the case as well? If it (the case) is stripped, I suppose you could just place the standoff in place and loctite it to the case (that way it still can be removed). Also double check they (screws/standoffs) are the correct size/pitch/etc.
m
l
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
December 1, 2009 2:55:49 AM

Antec is pretty good with hardware. I can't see them mismatching standoffs and mounting screws. Yoiu may have , though. :) 
m
l
December 1, 2009 4:26:45 AM

Well the standoffs screw in nice and tight into the case.
m
l
December 1, 2009 10:09:55 AM

you're using the standoff's and screws that came with the 300?

if so you're probably over-tightening the screws. or using the wrong screws, most people use the screws with the teeth on the underside of the head, the smaller ones are for securing your drive bays.

i'm pretty sure it says in your mobo manual - DONT OVER-TIGHTEN THE MOBO SCREWS.
m
l
December 1, 2009 11:01:37 PM

Yes im using the standoffs and screws that came with the 300. Nope not over-tightening at all I know im not suppose to. I cant over tighten what wont tighten in the first place. lol

Not using screws with teeth under.

m
l
December 2, 2009 4:54:50 PM

rig1 said:
Yes im using the standoffs and screws that came with the 300. Nope not over-tightening at all I know im not suppose to. I cant over tighten what wont tighten in the first place. lol

Not using screws with teeth under.

Ok so the standoff's screw into the motherboard tray fine, but the screws that are meant to hold the motherboard into the standoff's are not tightening....

But these screws your talking about have no teeth? you mean they have no threads? are they even screws? find a pic online of the screws your talking about, because it sounds like your using nails!

Anyhow, try different screws. Easiest way would be to have a loose standoff in your hand, and go through all the screws provided with your case/motherboard, to find whatever best fits.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 2, 2009 5:16:37 PM

What they mean about the teeth is when you look at the underside of the head of the screw it has ridges. I had to pick up and look at some of the screws I have just sitting on my desk to figure out what was meant.
m
l
!