FireGL DVI fading

Date Posted: 12/03/09

GPU:
ATI FireGL X3-256 dual-DVI, (last driver 2/7/2006 8.223.0.0 (BIOS setting AGP 8x can't change)
ATI settings were 32bit, 1600x1200, 60Hz refresh rate (can't go lower than 60).

System:
Antec SmartPower SP-350 350watt PSU (checked all were ok 12.2V,5.0V,3.3V under load).
Intel Pentium 4 Processor 3.00 GHz,
Abit VT7 Motherboard (VIA Chipset),
2GB RAM (4 Modules of Kingston KHX2700/512)
Monitor(s): Samsung SyncMaster 204B TFT DVI input,
Windows 2000

I'm currently having problems with display fading, flickering, blackouts.
Monitors are fairly new, tested the signal to both of them, and the same problem occurs on both.

From a bootup, the display will gradually come on after a few hours.
From a restart, the display will gradually come on in about half an hour.
This is from black/blank screen, to normal display.

I cannot see the bootup or BIOS screen, unless the display is "warmed-up".

This is how I have to wake it up or warm it up from black/blank screen:
After bootup, when the screen is black/blank, I can vaguely see a window on my desktop
I have to accidently click an application to make a window luminescently appear.

If I hold a flashlight against the TFT screen, I can see the desktop window a little bit better.
A window's active bar is the only thing I can see well. I have to wiggle my mouse to find my cursor hover over it (this happens by luck).
This is all with shining a flashlight against the TFT.

Once I'm able to click on a window, make it active, and drag it around the desktop a couple times,
that is when the display starts to flicker ON!

As I drag the active window around, I get 1 flicker of a Normal display every 5 sec or so, which turns off in a split sec.
Then after several minutes of dragging the window, the display flickering gets more pronounced, then eventually the display is normal.

There are no obsure graphics or artifacts, just fading/flickering as described.

I'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to troubleshooting GPUs. After experiencing the above problems,
I did the following checks/changes but still experienced the same problem:
-Checked Power Supply Unit's voltage with system at full load, all were ok 12.2V,5.0V,3.3V.
-Decreased ATI "Hardware Acceleration", changed from 32bit to 16bit,
-Checked under OS device manger IRQ (it was 16),
-Checked BIOS, no option to assign IRQ for AGP graphics.
-BIOS, AGP 3.0 mode is permanently 8x and cannot be changed.
-AGP aperature size was 128MB, I changed it to 256MB made no difference.
-AGP Driving Value is: DA
-AGP Ratio is 6:2:1 .
-AGP Voltage was 1.55V, set to the lowest option 1.50V.
-Under "Disabled Unused PCI Clock:" it is Enabled.

I would like to stick with AGP, since my current mobo+CPU is running good, and I already payed around $970p for the ATI X3-256
(It was the best card for Dual-Monitor CAD setup at the time.)
After all that purchasing, I can't afford to switch to PCI-e, via a motherboard & it's counterparts.
Thanks for reading and I hope there is some insight into how I can get it to run normal again.
2 answers Last reply
More about firegl fading
  1. It seems.. when the sys temp. is cooler than normal, like today, the display won't wake up at all. Again, desktop can slightly be seen when I hold a flashlight to the monitor. Because the mouse cursor is light in color, it is hard to find it. And an active window's bar, can easily be seen since it's dark blue.
  2. ..update. Looking into a possible culprit: EDID corruption in the monitor. How hard is it to get a Samsung Syncmaster re-flashed?
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon DVI Graphics Displays