Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Can u overclock oem motherboard

Last response: in Overclocking
May 14, 2012 1:38:05 AM

I have a Dell inspiron 546s desktop. With the oem motherboard model no. 0F896N. Just aquired a AmD Phenom x4 965 cpu. Can I overclock the new cpu with my oem motherboard? There doenst seem to be too many adjustment settings when I go to the bios. Do I need a new motherboard to boldly go where no man has gone before? Appreciate any input.

Best solution

a c 137 V Motherboard
a c 110 K Overclocking
May 14, 2012 1:57:54 AM

Yeah, OEM mobo's are pretty locked down so you can't OC much, if at all (fewer warranty issues). A new mobo is probably your only option if you want to OC. That, of course will almost certainly require you to reinstall Windows, and even if you don't, the OS is probably OEM and tied to the mobo it was originally installed on (would fail validation).
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
May 14, 2012 2:13:08 AM

Like DJ said, it's really not likely. You can try to update the BIOS to the most recent version. rarely this gives a little more option to overclock. again, not likely. Best bet would be to buy a new copy of windows and a new motherboard, or stick with stock speeds.
Score
Related resources
May 15, 2012 5:16:32 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Yeah, OEM mobo's are pretty locked down so you can't OC much, if at all (fewer warranty issues). A new mobo is probably your only option if you want to OC. That, of course will almost certainly require you to reinstall Windows, and even if you don't, the OS is probably OEM and tied to the mobo it was originally installed on (would fail validation).

Hey thanks DJ reallly appreciate the input. I have updated everything except the mobo. Went from windows xp to windows 7,replaced my video card ( radeon 4350 to 6750 hd) upped memory from 4 gb to 8 gb. and of course the cpu.
Score
May 15, 2012 5:16:59 AM

Best answer selected by insp2and1half.
Score
a c 1214 V Motherboard
a c 362 K Overclocking
June 9, 2012 12:00:22 AM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!