nanaki254

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Hi,

I have finished putting together my PC, and when I turned it on for the first time, I heard a loud "pop" and nothing turned on.

I checked the mobo to see if it was a busted capacitor, but nothing seemed to be busted, capacitor-wise.

I started to take everything off and reattaching it one by one, when I started it this time, it actually booted.

However, I noticed that the fan connecting to the connectors on the motherboard were not spinning (mostly concerning the CPU fan). I used some 3 pin to molex connectors on my peripheral fans, instead of the mobo, and the fans worked perfectly. The bad thing is that my stock fan for the CPU is a 4 pin, and my adapters are closed 3 pins (only can fit a 3 pin fan-type)

Is there something wrong with my fan connectors? If so, is there a way to fix them or would I have to get a 4 pin PWM to molex adapter?

My motherboard is a gigabyte ga-790xta-ud4, with a corsair TX750w psu

I know of gigabyte's tendency to delay fan spinning, but i disabled it in bios and the fan wouldnt spin still.

tonkatuffmofo

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
Not really experienced with gigabyte boards but if the cpu fan wont spin up when connected to the mobo's cpu fan header, and any options regarding it have been checked out in the bios I would send it back to the shop being new and all and get it exchanged.

Both power feeds from the psu are firmly connected and seated correctly to the mobo?

nanaki254

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010

It turns out I stupidly thought one of the PSU's FDD power cable was a PSU_FAN cable and that pop created a short on the mobo fan headers, so I can't RMA it :(

I am thinking of getting a fan to molex adapter, but the ones I seen are 3 pin, whereas my stock AMD fan is 4 pin. Would it matter?

I know that this will either make it spin at max, or not at all (if it's really DOA)

I just can't find any computer stores nearby that have that adapter :(
Only online, but the shipping takes a while (and it is the weekend so it won't ship until monday)

tonkatuffmofo

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
In all honesty Id bank on the gullibility of the average shop assistant.
If its within 30 days

Take/send it back and just tell them you put the sytem together yesterday and it was dead on arrival.

As long as there is no physically visible damage to the board circuitry they will replace it no questions asked generally. Half the time they dont even bother to look at the board.

What have you got to lose? Worst case they will just tell you no, then go with your current idea.