Toshiba Satellite 320CDS - Windows ME

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
June 28, 2004 11:04:39 PM

I have an old Toshiba Satellite 320CDS Laptop running Windows 98. I have a
spare copy of Windows ME and was wondering whether anyone had Windows ME
running on this machne. The toshiba support site doesn't give windows ME
drivers. Will the windows 98 ones do? Thanks
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 29, 2004 1:38:39 PM

Scottie wrote:
> I have an old Toshiba Satellite 320CDS Laptop running Windows 98. I
> have a spare copy of Windows ME and was wondering whether anyone had
> Windows ME running on this machne. The toshiba support site doesn't
> give windows ME drivers. Will the windows 98 ones do? Thanks

WinME is pretty much recognized as a terrible replacement for Win98;
there is definitely no performance enhancement that you will realize
with ME on that computer, IMO. The 320CDS/CDT are going on 7-8 years
old. If you want better performance, take the machine to its max RAM
which is 48MB (?) via eBay. WinME really wants 64-128MB, and will
consume what little HD (1.5MB?) the computer has so little of to begine
with.

The 320CDx makes a pretty good print server for the old parallel printer
that no longer is supported in WinXP. IMO, YMMV.

June 29, 2004 6:29:11 PM

"Scottie" <ian@NOSPAMstanleyscott.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have an old Toshiba Satellite 320CDS Laptop running Windows 98. I have a
> spare copy of Windows ME and was wondering whether anyone had Windows ME
> running on this machne. The toshiba support site doesn't give windows ME
> drivers. Will the windows 98 ones do? Thanks

Short answer = maybe. Most Win98 drivers will work for ME. WinME is
basically Win98 with some bug-fixes and added/improved/enhanced features.
If you want to make sure everything works properly, go into Control
Panel --> System --> Device Manager and write down all the devices with
model numbers, etc. Then go to the manufacturer's website for each device
and check to see if there's a different driver for WinME than the one they
recommend for Win98. I would venture to guess most are the same, but
download them all nonetheless. If you are doing a "clean install" think
about burning a CD with all the drivers (after decompressing them). The
windows install cd's are pretty contain a pretty comprehensive set of
drivers for most desktop hardware but aren't so great at vendor-specific
and/or proprietary laptop device drivers. You might also check the Toshiba
website to see if there is an "installation roadmap"... I know when I was
installing Win2K onto my Toshiba laptop it was very important to install the
various power management, docking configuration, display drivers, etc. in a
specific order for things to work right.

Good luck

dave
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 29, 2004 9:27:59 PM

Thanks for the help. I think I'll give it a go and see what happens.