Windows XP

Mike

Splendid

My harddrive has been partitioned for Windows 98SE and
Windows XP. I would like to remove Windows 98SE, and run
Windows XP alone. What are the steps? I can't remember
if Windows 98SE or Windows XP was placed on the harddrive
first, so, I will need both set-up scenarios. Thanxs!

Mike, you can look in Win98SE C:\ for the five files that XP places
there in order to boot. They are ntldr, ntdetect.com,
boot.ini, cmldr and bootsect.dos. In order to see them you will have to
go to WinExplorer>Tools>Folder Options>View>
click on Show hidden files and Folders and uncheck Hide protected
operating system files. You can delete everything
on the C: except those five files. If you want to format C: then you
can use the Recovery Console on the WinXP CD and
use the Bootcfg command. Most likely Bootcfg /scan and Bootcfg
/rebuild or add