Will i need to do bios update for new cpu

T_sparky

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
hi all new to this site
was wondering if anyone can help me with advice about bios update on my motherboard ms 7091 version 2 yep i no its old lol but getting new one soon so this be my back up comp , basically ive got hold of another cpu a pentium 4 3ghz with h/t and read up that having h/t pentium 4 is better then single core pentium 4's mine is near enough same speed at 3.06 ghz but without the h/t and the fsb is more as well with this h/t one. i have 2.7 gig of pc2 6400 so that should work better with more fsb from what ive read up

if i swapped over cpu's would i need to update my bios as well ?, ive found the manual for it and it does support socket 775 hyper threading cpu and my bios version is according to cpu-z its version 6.00 PG 07/26/2005 but checked in bios on boot up and saw its 5.08 07/26/2005 so bit confused there .and also hyperthreading is enabled in bios so thats ok
if it does need update the bios , can i just take it out and put back in my old p4 3.06 single core without any probs? ive read up on how to replace cpu so ill be ok with that part, just that ive never done bios update before and heard that if it ain't broke dont try fix it. microstar does have online bios update but cant find the mobo on it and bit worried about using it and i dont have floppy on this comp to boot from

thanks for any help with this much appreciated oh p.s im using xp media center

T_sparky

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010

hi thanks for yr reply, heres some info on it from si software sandra
Mainboard: micro star international co. ltd
Manufacturer : MSI
Multi-Processor (MP) Support : No
MPS Version : 1.40
Model : MS-7091
BIOS : 07/26/2005-Grantsdale-6A79DM4IC-00
Chipset : Intel 915G/GV (Grantsdale)

done a report with belarc as well :
Main Circuit Board
Board: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-7091
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 07/26/2005

thanks oh saw 2 reply options hope done this right lol

You must use the correct bios file. Don't try flashing a different file. You can try using msi's "live update" software. To use it, download it off msi's website. Install it on your system. Disable all windows and anti virus firewalls. Disable "bootblock" and "virus protection" in your motherboard bios if these options appear. Then while you are online, start the update program. You will see several steps as it proceeds, including erasing your old bios file and loading and testing your new bios file. Wait until the message to reboot appears (or it may do this automatically) when you're finished. Then you can enter the bios and set the boot order, save and exit. If your board won't boot after flashing, you can order a 7091 bios chip off ebay for 4.95 pounds and use a special tool to pull off the old bios chip so you can install a new one. The tool is called a plcc puller, and sells for around ten dollars.

T_sparky

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010

thanks 01die
yeh was thinking msi would be best to use if update the bios, would i b able to just see if it does need update 1st in one of the steps as it proceeds. prefer to avoid a bios update if i can u no, if like say does go wrong and need to order bios chip off ebay then theres the waiting time for the post and messing about. and this is my main computer for next 2 months until get new one. another thing with the bios update from m/s site is they say boot from floppy and thats somthing i aint got on this computer, can it be done by usb flash memory stick? another thing i still dont understand is msi advice for updating mobo dont do it if aint broke lol yet people still do the update just for upgrading cpu/settings etc

T_sparky

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
cool thanks for letting me no , feel more assured now u have used it several times, ill try that tomm i will. and let u no how it went ok...cheers

T_sparky

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010

thanks for the advice, gona wait little bit before do bios update. didnt realize that the other cpu i got is for socket 478 and not 775 thought it was , but cheers for all your help because i will be buying a new cpu p4 ht very soon so least i no i can safely use ms live update