Diagnosis motherboard problems

Frierson Cowboy

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
I installed a GeForce GT 220 graphics card in my E-Machine yesterday and I have no signal to my monitor. I tried another monitor to the same result. I removed the hardware and my monitor still dosen't work. Model 1161-05. AMD2 processor/vista home basic package. I did find that my psu is not big enough. 250watt/unit requires a 350watt unit. I don't know if it got the psu or maybe the motherboard. Please help

I honestly would think it would still boot, but I could be wrong. Is the card properly seated in the PCI-E slot? There maybe a setting in the bios that you have to enable to allow it to use a video card rather than the onboard output.

So I'm confused, if you remove the video card and plug into the onboard, is everything ok? or does it now not work? Did it work before?

250W is not much power, but you MAY be able to fit that card on it. The GT 200 doesn't require much power -- gets all it needs from the slot, actually. So I'd keep that in mind but not necessarily as the first option.

It would help to know which model of e-machine you have; knowing the specs could point to other issues.

One more thing: Did you remember to disable the onboard graphics adapter in the BIOS before you put in the new card? Most e-machines look like they come with some sort of integrated video on the motherboard. If you leave it turned on, the system will not recognize the new card. So if you get a video signal long enough to at least see the boot screen and get into the BIOS, that's what I'd do first.

technuttso

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
U have tried the old video chip(on board one),maybe u have a faulty video card or a bad PCI express slot.... Try another card if u have,some friend may help u with that? And first...U have disabled the on board video chip before u installed the new one? U know...Control panel->hardware manager->video hardware...thing? Try to do these things first and then u tell us what happens.

Frierson Cowboy

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009

jay2tall, yes everything worked fine before I installed the card and now I have no monitor signal at all. Removed the card and I still have no signal to two different monitors. The graphics card states that I need at least 350 watt psu. And no I didn't go into the bios before and of course i can't get there now with out a monitor. I am lost.

Frierson Cowboy

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009

I did not do this first. I thought it would override the built in graphics. I was wrong. Now I have no monitor. I have tried two different monitors to no avail.

technuttso

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
Hello.... reconnect the monitor at the plug it was first connected, and u will have desktop video.Then disable that video hardware on board.U know...Control panel->hardware manager->video hardware...thing? Is some video adapter from nVidia 6 series. U have nVidia video chip on board.After plug the card on motherboard,and then plug the monitor to the new video card.And install the drivers after that.

This is what I would recommend.

If you remove the card, reset the BIOS and plug in to the onboard VGA port, you should get video again. If you don't, then it's time to start looking at other issues, like possible hardware problems.

Frierson Cowboy

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009

Thanks partner, but i tried to start over like i hadn't done anything and it still doesn't work. Just doesn't make since.

Frierson Cowboy

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009

Yes it does sound like the unit is booting jay. but i did notice in the process of working on the unit when i plugged the psu into the wall/ with the computer turned off i got a rather large arc. That didn't use to happen.

Frierson Cowboy

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009

I see the jumper but i don't understand how to use it. help

technuttso

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
Bios reset? Like the two guys recommended before?. ..another card? another Psu?
Ask some friend help for these parts. There is no issue that comes out in 5 minutes...i wish i have that luck.

technuttso

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
Read the manual. Is CmOS jumper with 2 positions. 1 initial and 2 reset.plug in to reset position(that include 1 pin from initial position) for 10 secs minimum,maybe 30 will do fine.and then plug that jumper in to original position.

technuttso

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
Good luck kid,i am from Italy,now i have to go to sleep.Work with calm and u will find the problem,an solved. I will see tomorrow how u got the things done. And get some powerful PSU also.

Yeah, you'll have to look in the motherboard manual that came with the machine (or should have com with it, at least). The exact procedure varies from board to board. If we knew what kind of motherboard you had, or at least which model of e-machine, maybe someone would be able to walk you through it. You can probably find the manual online in any case.

MMmmmkay.. Now class we would say that is bad. Mmmkay. haha. Do you have another PSU that you could try? Where is the arc visible? Did this happen just one time or each time you plug it in? Your PSU could have just took a dump.