Best Cooler for i5-3570k

mithrandir726

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
I'm thinking about upgrading my system to an i5-3570k. I would plan to overclock it and would hope to achieve 4.5 GHz. I'm looking for a cooler that is both affordable and would give me acceptable temperatures at 4.5 GHz. I am willing to spend the money if I need to, but if I don't I would like to save what I can. I am open to both air coolers and closed-loop water coolers (like Corsair's H-series).

I have a CM HAF 922 case with stock fan configuration (200 mm front intake, 200 mm top exhaust, 120 mm rear exhaust).

Thanks in advance!

The best cooler in terms of value remains the Hyper 212 Plus at $25. The ones above that:
-$35 Hyper 212 EVO
-$50 EVGA Superclock
-$80 Thermalright Archon
-$115 Corsair H100

I think it's probably not worth spending more than $50.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
If you want to OC then stick to the SB, because the IB are engineered to overheat.
When Intel went from fluxless solder to their heat paste they decided that OC'ing was not important: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/proof_%E2%80%93_switch_fluxless_solder_thermal_paste_cause_poor_ivy_bridge_overclocking_temperatures. If you OC the IB expect that you will run HOT.

mithrandir726

Distinguished
May 25, 2008

That's why I'm asking for the best cooler to use. I know that Ivy Bridge runs hotter, which is also part of the reason I'm sticking with a moderate 4.5 GHz target. According to Anandtech, 4.5 GHz on Ivy Bridge is possible without excessive thermals. Much higher than that, though, is where the trouble starts.

The problem with ivy bridge heat comes from higher voltages, not necessarily the level of the multiplier.
How well you do will be somewhat dependent on the quality of your particular chip.
As a rule an OC at 4.0 does not need extra voltage, and up to 4.5 may really not be a problem. It just depends.

I agree that a cm hyper212 may be all you need.
The best air cooler to my mind is the Noctua NH-D14. Don't know if it is worth it, but in a well ventilated case like yours, it will cool as well as any all in one liquid cooler and be quieter about it too.

I do not much like the all in one coolers because they must be mounted to draw cool air in through the radiator where case cooling has to deal with it. That is good for the cpu, but bad for the graphics cards which probably need the cool air more.

relphie

Honorable
May 14, 2012
I have the Hyper 212 EVO and got 4.5 (45 x 100) @ 1.16v. My temps in IBT maxed at 83C. My 1.16v seems good for hitting 4.5, but my 83C temp seems bad for only 1.16v.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished

Good luck with keeping the temps down. The problem is not with the coolers but with the design of the chip which doesn't dissipate heat well.

As a test, while I am writing this, I am running prime95. In a Silverstone TJ-08E case, a 3570K@4.3, and a prolimatech megahalems. The voltage is set to automatic, and is running at 1.192v. The cpu fan is a noctua 120mm, undervolted to run at 1000 rpm; virtually silent.
The peak temperature on the hottest core is 70c. That is still 35c. from TJ max.
At idle, or normal desktop usage, I see temps like 38c, which is cooler than the previous 2600K.
The room ambient temperature is 28c; perhaps a bit hot.

You have a very well cooled case, so a decent air cooler. I would avoid the liquid coolers which tend to run fans at high rpm's and be noisy. A good air cooler will cool just as well in a well ventilated case.

There is not a lot of difference in cooling between the $25 hiper212 and a $85 noctua NH-D14.

There are any number of good coolers priced in between. Just buy one with largish 120 or 140mm fans.
Do not anguish over the differences; they really are minor.