Status
Not open for further replies.

phamhlam

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
I am thinking of getting a 128GB SSD for my OS and programs. I need help deciding between the two.
I heard Samsung had better reliability and the case looks so sleek and nice (doesn't affect performance but nice to know you got a quality product)
I heard that the Vertex 3 was just a speed demon.
Let me know what you think.

Solution
(1) Stick with the 120/128 gig SSD, NOT the 40 gig. Larger SSD is faster than the same SSD, but smaller.
(2) Speed Demon, when compared to others - Not really. It looks that way when you look at benchmarks. BUT benchmarks do not always translate in to rel life preformance difference. Sandforce SF2281 gets High marks in sequencial read/write performance when using data that is readily compressable. Sequencial performance is the least important matrix for a OS + program drive - The random 4 k performance is what is important. Real life data is on a OS + program drive is not readily compressable. What you need to look at are PCMark vantage tests which come closet to real life and As SSD tests (AS SSD uses compressed data for their...

hunuok

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
Vertex3 has received a lot of bad press due to issues with the SandForce controllers.

This seems to have been rectified with the latest firmware release 2.15.

I am using two, and I have had no issues after updating firmware. Previously, I was getting BSODs about once a fortnight, which was less than others who were getting one every two hours (worst case).

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?95475-2.15-is-now-live...use-this-thread-for-questions-and-all-relevant-discussion.

Samsungs have less performance, but have the reliability.

Other alternatives (the middle of the road) would be the Crucial M4.

The decision is up to you-Are you willing to sacrifice reliability for performance? or Do you want something that is reliable but has lower performance?

Personally, I opted for outright performance.

hiimnickwhoareu

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
I understand an SSD for a faster boot up, what you're doing however isn't a great idea. 128gb is almost nothing, it really won't last long. Unless you plan on investing in something over 300GB, buy a 40GB ssd for a faster start up and you're set.

hunuok

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
I understand an SSD for a faster boot up, what you're doing however isn't a great idea. 128gb is almost nothing, it really won't last long. Unless you plan on investing in something over 300GB, buy a 40GB ssd for a faster start up and you're set.

???????

A 40Gb is too small to run Windows/Office/Programs.

How does a smaller (ie 40Gb) SSD translate into a faster start up (compared to 128Gb)?-source please.

(1) Stick with the 120/128 gig SSD, NOT the 40 gig. Larger SSD is faster than the same SSD, but smaller.
(2) Speed Demon, when compared to others - Not really. It looks that way when you look at benchmarks. BUT benchmarks do not always translate in to rel life preformance difference. Sandforce SF2281 gets High marks in sequencial read/write performance when using data that is readily compressable. Sequencial performance is the least important matrix for a OS + program drive - The random 4 k performance is what is important. Real life data is on a OS + program drive is not readily compressable. What you need to look at are PCMark vantage tests which come closet to real life and As SSD tests (AS SSD uses compressed data for their test.)

Bottom line - Go for the Samsung 830 or the Curical M4. In real life you will not see a nickels worth of performance difference and both have higher customur satisfaction ratios.

Solution

Meganano

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
The Samsung 830 sounds like a tempting alternative to the Crucial M4, but isn't it a bit premature to claim "higher customur satisfaction ratios"?

Meganano

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
If past performance is any indicator forget the new OCZ Octane (But did previous generation OCZ's have problems like the recent?)

The vertex-ii was pretty good, they bombed out when they brought out their Sata III line up. Based on the company attitude, I vowed never to buy another OCZ product. Bear in mind that bench mark performance is not what counts, it's real life performance and in that test there is much less difference between the various sata III SSDs

Status
Not open for further replies.