Sign in with
Your question

5870 problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2009 6:41:14 PM

Hi i have just recieved my pc which was built for me. I am constantly getting different coloured dots flickering on my screen and sometimes lines. I'll list all the components below.

Asus Crosshair Formula III mobo
AMD Phenom 965 3.4ghz
8gb OCZ gold AMD edition ram
Sapphire Vapor-x 5870
Corsair HX750w

All drivers are up to date and i am using a Benq 22" monitor that can support 1920x1080.

Please can someone tell me how to solve this or any ideas why im having this problem.

More about : 5870 problems

December 3, 2009 7:24:42 PM

I would first start off by checking the other resolutions your monitor "likes" to see if the problem exists within this one resolution. If not, then I would have to suggest an RMA because it sounds like you got a bad chip.
a c 1317 U Graphics card
December 3, 2009 7:26:55 PM

First suspect GPU. Second PSU. Third screen. You have any old parts to troubleshoot with or is the assembly under warranty!
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2009 7:31:15 PM

All parts are brand new so have manufacturers warranty and i dont think there is any assembly warranty
a c 1317 U Graphics card
December 3, 2009 7:41:10 PM

RMA is fine but it would be better to pinpoint the actual problem first! Was it a vendor that assembled? If so he should deal with it.
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2009 7:49:11 PM

Download Hardware monitor and watch your gpu temperature. min and max. Do the dots happen after 3d gaming /yes and or both ? Have you overclocked your card at all in ATI CCC ?
http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2009 7:57:40 PM

I downloaded hardware monitor and my min is 23*c and max 30*c. I have literally had this pc for about 4 hours as it was built yesterday so no overclocking or anything. I have not even installed any programs or games just as soon as i turn it on this problem occures.
a c 1317 U Graphics card
December 3, 2009 8:28:59 PM

Like I said first suspect GPU.
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2009 8:53:27 PM

check the pins connecting the videocard to the monitor, both ends. make sure none are bent.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2009 10:03:16 PM

iv checked the pins and all seems ok, im now using the monitor on this other oc and its all good, maybe it is just a suspect gpu
a c 1317 U Graphics card
December 3, 2009 10:06:38 PM

Quote:
iv checked the pins and all seems ok, im now using the monitor on this other oc and its all good, maybe it is just a suspect gpu

What do you mean by other oc? would not be surprised it is the GPU any change you can test it in another system.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2009 10:08:35 PM

sorry i meant pc, i am not able to test the gpu on a different system as my only other one is very old
a c 1317 U Graphics card
December 3, 2009 10:16:04 PM

Quote:
sorry i meant pc, i am not able to test the gpu on a different system as my only other one is very old

I guess the RMA is next then.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2009 10:18:14 PM

looks like it just i was hoping there would be a simple solution lol plus this card is just hours old, anyway i appreciate everyones input and help, thanks
!