Windows xp OEM cd

Scotthorn

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
I need to install windows xp on a no-O/S PC I bought for the company I work for. In order to do that I bought a copy of XP Pro OEM from an online retailer (not ebay). I figured I'd get OEM because I don't need manuals or fancy boxes, and it's a lot cheaper. When I got the package it was a 3-pack of OEM win xp cd's with an extra OPK (oem pre-installtion kit) CD. It also had a label on the package that indicated that I needed to be a member of the "Microsoft Registered Refurbisher Program" before I could activate it, and that it needed to be installed using the OPK cd provided. Our IT guy suggested using one of the Win XP cd's to install it, and ignoring the label. I did so, and the CD key located in the unattend.txt worked fine during the manual install I did. However, when I tried to activate the software, I got a message saying that it was an unauthorized key. My questions are: Do I have to be a member of this program to activate it, or do I only have to use this pre-install CD? I get the impression that the sysprep utility is somehow related to my problem. From the little bit of info I can find it sounds like running that utility is necessary to make this copy of windows xp "activatible". Can anyone offer any advice?

Scotthorn

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012

Why should I have to contact Microsoft support if I bought a legitimate copy of Windows XP OEM and want to install it on a computer for which I am the original equipment manufacturer (aka, the person that puts the computer together and installs the OS)?