Does this look like a burn mark?

fasteddy

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
Hello all,

ASUS P5Q
PC power & cooling Silencer 610
OCZ fatality ram

Recently I had some strange things take place with my computer, namely, I began getting memory errors and my keyboard lost function in several keys. When my computer began running very strangely, I took it upon myself to begin some self-diagnosis. I was running DDR2 ram, and I removed one stick to see if I could isolate the issue. I used a certain stick and soon received errors. I switched to the other stick and everything seemed to run decent, yet slower of course.

I think that my computer may have been victim of a powersurge. I want to show you this picture to see if anyone can conclusively determine whether or not this is a burn mark, or simply a colored anomaly. The mark in question is on the second yellow memory slot.

I have RMA'd the memory and it should be here Tuesday. I am nervous about putting the new memory into that slot that has the mark on it.

Now that I have taken the pictures and looked closely, it really looks like an electric burn. What should I do? Should I attempt to RMA the mobo?

Thanks for your help!

E
mb1.jpg

mb2.jpg

justaguywithagun

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
it looks like a burn mark, but there shouldnt be anything that would cause a mark on the top of the PCIE slot...except maybe a vid card that died an incredibly violent death (see: small fire.). personally, id RMA the mobo and ram if its still within the RMA-able time-frame although it could just be bad ram

As far as I can tell the mark on the RAM slot is just dirt and will probably just rub off with your finger. As the motherboard works with just one stick of RAM then it is probably OK. Test the working stick in both slots to be sure that the motherboard is good. From what you have said it seems that one of your sticks of RAM has gone bad.

fasteddy

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
Thanks for the replies. I am going to do as you said pjmelect and test both slots. I only tried the first slot before. I have already RMA'd the memory and the new sticks should be here on Tuesday. I should have experimented with the old working stick! I tried to rub the mark off, but it's on there pretty good, won't budge.

I'll update later.

fasteddy

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010

I have received and installed the new memory. It seems to be doing fine. I haven't run any stress tests but I haven't gotten any BSODs or other errors yet. Maybe it was just a colored anomaly in the plastic on the motherboard from the factory.

Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS