Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How hot is too hot for a 3570k, or any CPU for that matter?

Last response: in Overclocking
May 14, 2012 2:55:01 PM

I want to buy and overclock a 3570k, and I'm not interested in water cooling. I've been considering the Hyper 212+ or 212 Evo, but after all I keep hearing about the 3570k's overheating issues, I wonder if this is going to be enough. How cool am I supposed to be keeping my CPU, aside from the obvious answer of "as cool as possible"?

The purpose for this overclock is going to be strictly for gaming, I want a decent FPS boost from it. It doesn't need to be extreme, and I don't see myself going anywhere over 4.5GHz. I'd be comfortable between 4.0GHz and 4.3GHz. Is either version of the Hyper 212 going to be able to handle this? I will consider shooting for the 2500k if that would be a better buy for my purposes, but everyone seems to recommend the 3570k regardless of its heating issues.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 14, 2012 3:00:46 PM

well ivy is bound to get hot.. i have no experience with ivy.i just know ivy brdige is hotter when overclocked than sandy bridge. but intel has said that engineers testing and met thermal qualification
m
l
May 14, 2012 3:04:18 PM

Rockdpm said:
well ivy is bound to get hot.. i have no experience with ivy.i just know ivy brdige is hotter when overclocked than sandy bridge. but intel has said that engineers testing and met thermal qualification

So is there a standard CPU temperature that is considered a comfortable goal? Like 50C? And is there a standard CPU temperature that is considered the "too hot!" point? Or does it differ from one CPU to the next?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 317 à CPUs
a c 122 K Overclocking
May 14, 2012 3:07:17 PM

Not to worry.

At a modest 4.0-4.3 OC you will not have a problem. It is the maximum overclockers that are impacted.

The maximum temperature is somewhat north of 100c.
If you run prime 95 and stay under 70c, you will be OK.

In actual usage, I would expect even less since gaming will not ever stress all 4 cores.

The hyper 212 is really as good as you need for a cpu cooler.

For gaming, the graphics card will be the determinimg factor for FPS even if you don't OC the 3750K at all.

Lastly, do not worry too much about heat. If it ever gets dangerously hot(like the fan broke), the cpu will just downclock itself or even shut off to protect itself from damage.

May 14, 2012 6:06:12 PM

chesteracorgi said:
The IB is a poor over clocker because Intel decided to go with thermal paste rather than fluxless solder: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/proof_%E2%80%93_s.... The 3750 will run hot unless you have the skill and patience to mod out the chip itself (and thereby void any warranty).

I don't mind if it runs a bit hotter than other chips, what I'm worried about is if it will run TOO hot and cause damage and severely reduce the chip's life. I'm only OCing 4.0-4.3GHz. Am I going to run into a problem?
m
l
a c 317 à CPUs
a c 122 K Overclocking
May 14, 2012 6:12:18 PM

AntaresX said:
I don't mind if it runs a bit hotter than other chips, what I'm worried about is if it will run TOO hot and cause damage and severely reduce the chip's life. I'm only OCing 4.0-4.3GHz. Am I going to run into a problem?

No problem.
m
l
May 14, 2012 6:30:57 PM

Best answer selected by AntaresX.
m
l
May 14, 2012 6:31:17 PM

geofelt said:
No problem.

Thank you for your quick and clear responses. :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 14, 2012 6:34:40 PM

No problem with a 212 Evo. I have the 3570K running at 3.8 (default was hitting 100% utilization in Battlefield 3 - now at 90%) and never goes above 55C.

Just over 100C seems to be the real limit but I wouldn't be comfortable over mid-70s.

4.4GHz never went above 60C in my case.
m
l
!