Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is this a good setup to OC? i5+z77

Last response: in Overclocking
May 14, 2012 7:33:00 PM

I'm planing to buy a new rig this week.

I'm aiming for my first OC. I have a very overpriced and limited selection of hardware in my city (Rosario, Argentina), i've spent many hours trying to find something decent.

micro: i5 2500K
mother: P8Z77V PRO
RAM: 2x DDR3 4G 1600MHZ NON-ECC CL9 KINGT. HYPERX
cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
PSU: SDP650-SS or SDP850-SS

from my old rig:
HD: 2x 500G SATA2 7200 RPM HDs
GPU: GTX 550Ti
I'm planning to upgrade these later, but it's out of my budget right now.

I'll be expending around 1000 U$D for this setup, yeah i know it's way overpriced, it sucks, but this is the best deal i can get around here.

My questions:
My main doubts and concern is the PSU,
I read decent reviews about Sentey around, but is this PSU good for OCing this to 4.5Ghz+?
Will 650W be enough or should i aim for 850W? (I feel i'll need the 850W but not sure if i upgrade my GPU or if i try to SLI)
EDIT: I may be able to find some CoolMaster or Thermaltake PSUs if you guys recommend it over Sentey.
Is there any part that doesn't fit well in this setup?.

Thx for your help.

More about : good setup z77

a b K Overclocking
May 14, 2012 7:59:08 PM

If this is for gaming, it's a terrible build. No offense. GTX 550 Ti is one of the worst price/performance cards you can buy. You could also run that rig with a 350w psu.
m
l

Best solution

a c 106 K Overclocking
May 14, 2012 7:59:19 PM

To be honest I had never heard of Sentey before. Some checking around shows that all their power supplies are made by Super Flower and should be quite good.

Any single graphics card setup will run fine on a good 550w power supply. Those Senty power supplies are rated quite well for 12v output and total amp output.

Coolermaster and Thermaltake both are not brands I would recommend. They both have some good units and some that are beyond bad.

Make sure your RAM is 1.5v. Going over that will void your CPU warranty and can cause stability problems.

Related resources
May 14, 2012 8:00:57 PM

samuelspark said:
If this is for gaming, it's a terrible build. No offense. GTX 550 Ti is one of the worst price/performance cards you can buy. You could also run that rig with a 350w psu.

I said the GPU was from my old PC, I'm planing to upgrade it in a near future. And i want to OC the CPU, i doubt a 350W would be enough even for that.
m
l
a c 106 K Overclocking
May 14, 2012 8:01:52 PM

samuelspark said:

He already has a 550 Ti.....read the post.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 14, 2012 8:07:31 PM

I tend to skim to get to as many posts as possible. Didn't see it. Sorry. But Sentey is really bad. What other PSU manufactures are available?
m
l
May 14, 2012 8:08:22 PM

anort3 said:
Make sure your RAM is 1.5v. Going over that will void your CPU warranty and can cause stability problems.

The RAM model is a KHX1600C9D3/4G (Kingston) which seems to be 1.65V.

Thx anort3, i forgot to check the RAM specs :D 

EDIT: I didn't want to spam, but...

Quote:
BTW I'm about 70 miles south of you in Macon. :hello: 

I'm about 4738 miles south of you :hello:  :p 
m
l
a c 106 K Overclocking
May 14, 2012 8:11:13 PM

samuelspark said:
I tend to skim to get to as many posts as possible. Didn't see it. Sorry. But Sentey is really bad. What other PSU manufactures are available?

Read more. Skim less. Learn more. More helpful posts are better than useless spam posts. Sentey is made by Super Flower as I already stated. Super Flower is one of the better OEMs.

BTW I'm about 70 miles south of you in Macon.

:hello: 
m
l
May 20, 2012 11:57:20 PM

Best answer selected by kurzedmetal.
m
l
a c 106 K Overclocking
May 21, 2012 12:29:54 AM

Lol I just saw your edit.

Quote:
I'm about 4738 miles south of you :hello:  :p