Asus Motherboard for i5-750

jacksonyu721

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Hello everyone:
Im looking for a Asus motherboard for my i5 750 processor.
Im not planning to do any overclocking but I want to keep crossfire/SLI as an option.
Also can anyone suggest a g.skill ram module that will work well with this build. (I think 1333mhz will work well?)

Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you,
JJ

jacksonyu721

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Hello Maziar,

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to go with ASUS P7P55D-EVO. Do you know what ram will work well with this combination (ASUS P7P55D EVO and i5 750)? I was thinking of the g.skill ones because they have the low voltages that will meet the requirements of the i5 750

Thank you,
JJ

jacksonyu721

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Hello Tecmo,
Is there a specific reason for picking that motherboard? I originally had that motherboard on my mind too, but didn't know which one to choose from from all the ASUS.
I trust ASUS for motherboards and I actually want one that will make my setup easy because I'm not going to overclock this computer that I'm about to build, I want a motherboard compatible with the i5 750 and will not have a lot of settings to change in the bios. In other words, I can set up this computer rather easily, nothing complicated.

Thank you,
JJ

jacksonyu721

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
but will the BIOS be hard to configure?
I read a lot of the forums on here and a lot of people say that there are lots of changes that need to be made in the BIOS before this computer can install the OS (Like, all the specs are funny fluently).
This is my first time building a computer so I don't want anything too complicated to handle with :p

tecmo34

Administrator
It will be no different than any of the other ASUS motherboards. The only thing you'll need to configure is your RAM's voltage, speeds and timings, if don't default to specifications at startup. You aren't running a SSD, so you don't need to worry about switching to ACHI mode and your not overclocking, so that takes the other adjustments made in your BIOS away.

jacksonyu721

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Sorry, but what is SSD? :p....I'm kind of bad in short form stuff haha.
So the Ram's voltage, speeds and timings I have to adjust them to the ram's original specs right?

Thank You so much
JJ

jacksonyu721

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Tecmo,

For this combination of motherboard and cpu, are there any ways to find the appropriate settings for the bios? Because I've been seeing a lot of forum topics where this combination leads to slower cpu if you leave everything as it is when you build it.

Also, for the CPU Level Up function on this motherboard in the bios, does it help me overclock my computer (CPU)? In other words, does it help me change all the voltages and ratio/multipliers so that I can run it at the usual i5-750 mode (or maybe even better)?

I read on this other forum page that someone who built this combination (P7P55D-E Pro and i5-750) leads to his cpu having a speed of 1.33Ghz (from the specified 2.66 Ghz) and a multiplier of x9 (from the specified x20 multiplier that Intel supports)

I'm trying to learn a little more about overclocking so maybe I can test it out in the future when I build this computer. The CPU Level Up option will be really helpful for a beginner like me if it does what I think it does. :)

JJ

Misko195

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

You don't need nothing to do, just go in BIOS and go on LOAD DEFAULT SETTINGS, click on that choice save and exit. After that install new copy of win and enjoy...

Don't go in RAM setting, don't need it. Especially if you are begginer... :non:

Have a good days with you'r new system :bounce:

jacksonyu721

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
since these specs for i5-750 are given from the Intel website, I'm going to expect those specs right?

Like the motherboard will not somehow adjusts my settings through their "Auto" and lower the performance of my CPU?

jacksonyu721

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
so if I just Load Default Settings, all the settings (which most of them will be normal) should be the default settings for my i5-750?

For example, if I install windows afterwards and run CPU-Z, I'll get the specs for my CPU as 2.66Ghz and x20 multiplier (and some of the other specs)?

JJ

Misko195

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

Yes that's right and don't worry. For everything have first time :D

On first boot, go in BIOS and choice "Load Default Settings" save and exit, after that install new copy of win and drivers... (recommend Win 7 x64, but this is on you)

Download some app... for testing and test all hardware.... CPU, GPU, HDD, DDR3, everything. Install 3DMark Vantage, 3DMark06 and PCMark Vantage and run.. First of all run RealTemp or CoreTemp and see how is temp on you CPU...

After all this, when you learn much more go in BIOS and change what you want... :kaola:

I hope this will help you :) :hello: :hello: :hello:

Misko195

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

Take it easy men and don't worry.

Yes you'r spec about i5-750 will be how on intel site, just you go how i told you :)

tecmo34 have a good step by step build pc, take a look:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/274745-13-step-step-guide-building

Misko195

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

Men, i don't read this...

Look, on every i5 750 speed in idle is 1.200Mhz and multiplier x9 (this is for power saving). When is need i5-750 automaticaly will increase clock speed and multiplier to 2.66 and x20. (If is Turbo mode enablet to 3.2Ghz x24)
Don't worry, this is normal...

tecmo34

Administrator
JJ...

I'm with Misko195... Just load defaults and go from there. In reviewing the post that got you worried, I think the issue was more related to setting up RAM timings and things went downhill for the OP from there. I won't worry too much or dig into it too much. Just go with the motherboard you want and go from there with your build. With any build, you never know what you are going to get into or what will go right or wrong with any build.