Non-gamer $400-600 build

pax_vobiscum

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 1-2 weeks

BUDGET RANGE: $400-600 (Before or after rebates). The cheaper the better, if possible.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Editing raw images, photoshop, converting dvds to iphone format and surfing the internet.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor and speakers.

SOFTWARE REQUIRED: Windows 7

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com or what ever site has the best price.
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: I prefer intel. I am open to amd, if there is a convincing argument. I would also like to use a microATX case, if possible.

OVERCLOCKING: No
SLI OR CROSSFIRE:  No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
I'm hoping to build a fast, quiet and stable pc for my girlfriend. My girlfriend is a novice photographer. She currently owns a 2 year old Dell. The "thing" is so bog-down with background applications that it reminds me of a ps1. When ever I try to use her pc to surf the web, I end up walking away frustated and using my iphone instead. So, it's very important that I build a pc capable of handling Norton Virus and the 50 or so background applications she is bound to install.

Here are some items I'm considering:

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115215

Antec Mini P180 Black Steel MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129041

I would really appreciate any advice and feedback.

Thanks in advance.

quadbox.jpg

@batuchka: The Ripjaws are sold out, and probably won't be $80 when they come back.

@pax: You aren't getting an i5 on that budget. If you try, 1/2 your budget is gone. With Windows 7, you're down to $200-400 for everything else. Leaving out a GPU and RAM, everything else will run $200 if you choose a dirt cheap case. I'd recommend going with AMD. That said, the above build is alright, but the RAM's N/A, so it will run around $100 now. Also, I'd wait and try to get a Samsung Spinpoint F3 for the same price. It's a bit faster.